Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Ubuntu on an Acer 5742 laptop and running XP on Oracle Virtual box and plugged in externally (keyboard, mouse etc...) I have lost ability on both the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Numeric keyboard malfunction on Acer 5742

I am running Ubuntu on an Acer 5742 laptop and running XP on Oracle Virtual box and plugged in externally (keyboard, mouse etc...) I have lost ability on both the laptop numeric keyboard (only the numeric keys) and the external keyboard when plugged in. This happened while I was working in Virtual box and running Windows XP. When the laptop is on its own the numeric keyboard doesn't work (only numeric keys) either.

I have toyed with the number lock and I have un-installed and re-installed both"keyboard input methods" and "input method switcher" within Ubuntu software centre to with no change.

Not that I bought the damn computer for the numeric keyboard but it should work.

Help!!!!

Just Joined!

Problem solved!!!

I heard from a friend who is a Ubuntu Guru that I had disengaged the numeric keypad on both the keypad on my laptop and external keyboard by hitting CTRL+SHIFT+NUM LOCK. I hit the same keystroke and the numeric keypad is back.

Problem fixed!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post your solution, it may come in handy for someone else. Feel free to mark this thread as solved from the "Thread tools" link at the top of your first post in this thread, this will also close the thread.

EDIT: BTW Welcome to the Linuxforums.org!
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 03-26-2011 at 02:57 AM. Reason: See EDIT:
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Perfect.

Thanks for that info!
    I had to press ctrl-shift-num lock twice to cycle through what is obviously different functions for the numeric key pad, but now it works perfectly. I've been running ubuntu on this laptop for over a year now, and it had always annoyed me that the keypad did't work. Now it Does!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post your solution, it may come in handy for someone else. Feel free to mark this thread as solved from the "Thread tools" link at the top of your first post in this thread, this will also close the thread.

EDIT: BTW Welcome to the Linuxforums.org!