Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to back up a few directires on an ubuntu box /stor and /etc ... I've seen stuff for rsync and rdiff ... but they all involve creating certs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Simple Ubuntu Backup

I'm trying to back up a few directires on an ubuntu box /stor and /etc ...

I've seen stuff for rsync and rdiff ... but they all involve creating certs and keys ... and generally require a bit more than I need.

I just want to do a SIMPLE backup of /stor /etc to /mnt/backup. It is using a cifs share so no ssh or certs or keys needed.

What would I need to do to back this up daily?

I wrote a script for performing incremental backups everyday and an entire backups on Mondays:

~/backup_script.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# Mount Windows share to '/mnt' directory
    mount -t cifs -o username=<win-user>,password=<password> //host/share /mnt

# Incremental backup
    INC=`date | grep "Mon"`    # Check if it's Monday
    if [ -z "$INC" ]; then    # If it isn't Monday, perform incremental backup
        tar --create --compress \
            --file=/mnt/backup.tar.gz \    # Location to save tar file to
            --listed-incremental=/var/log/snapshot.snar \    # Incremental snapshot        
             ~/example    # Directory to be backed up    
    else # If Monday, perform full backup
        tar czf /mnt/backup.tar.gz /stor /etc 
    fi

# Now that files have been archived+compressed to server, unmount CIFS share
    umount /mnt
    You may need to edit it for your particular system environment. Of course you'll want to create a cron-job that executes this script daily. As the Linux user you want to execute the script, type "crontab -e" to edit your cron-jobs:

Code:
    00 4 * * * ~/backup_script.sh    # Backup daily at 4:00am
    The above script should run everyday at 4:00am. It will mount your Windows share to the /mnt directory of your Linux system. It should check to see if it is Monday. If it isn't, it will perform a incremental backup, keeping track of new/old files using a snapshot file specified in the script. If it is Monday, it performs a full backup.

If you need assistance with the script, let me know. Hopefully it fits what your looking for. If not, I'll be happy to help you find a more suitable alternative.