Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, so, I've done some research, and I still have questions pertaining to installing Ubuntu or Xubuntu on my Mac. I have downloaded a VM, and I must admit it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu on MacBook Pro 7.1

Okay, so, I've done some research, and I still have questions pertaining to installing Ubuntu or Xubuntu on my Mac. I have downloaded a VM, and I must admit it has proven satisfactory, however, I still feel that sometime in the near future I will want to do a real installation on my computer (once the trackpad issue is resolved).

My questions are as follows:

1) According to this, help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation, specifically the part that says:

[This information will not work for iMac (11,1) users and recent versions of Ubuntu (e.g., Maverick) [as t]he presence of the bios-grub partition that the Ubuntu installer creates by default (e.g., sda3) causes a conflict that prevents syncing the GPT and MBR partition tables. Deleting sda3 does not help since grub2 requires that bios-grub partition, nor will it use either sda or sda4 aborting with the error: "This GPT partition table has no BIOS boot partition; embedding won't be possible!". So installing Ubuntu with the bios-grub partition fails and installing without it fails]

I cannot install Ubuntu 10.10. However, I was wondering if this same issue is also commonplace in the earlier 10.04 release of this software.

2) After reading this thread, linuxforums.org/forum/laptops-netbooks-minibooks/165222-new-macbook-pro-7-1-no-linux-allowed.html, I was informed that Linux cannot be installed on a FAT formatted partition. So my question is, what formato should it be in? I was hoping simply to re-partition the Macintosh HD without affecting the Bootcamp side, and re-format the Linux partition.

As I have said before, I am very hesitant to do any sort of partitioning, and I will probably not install until after the apple trackpad issue has been resolved. And when I get contradicting information, such as here, help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro, I feel even less confident. This seems to tell me that one can install Ubuntu 10.10 on a Macbook Pro 7.1. And I'm just going to assume that all the other problems I've faced are because I chose to install Ubuntu within the Windows I run using bootcamp.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Stay with the VM for now. In the future, this may change and a native Linux installation on the Mac hardware may be a reasonable approach, but today... I think not.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Okay. Any word on the ubuntu-base-20060326.iso, or is it sort of an obscurity?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hevlic View Post
    Okay. Any word on the ubuntu-base-20060326.iso, or is it sort of an obscurity?
    I'm not familiar with that particular disc image, sorry. I started using Ubuntu with 7.04, so that .iso would have been from the previous release or three.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!