Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there i am trying to connect my AWUS036H to my Compaq CQ60 laptop running Ubuntu 10.10. when i check ifconfig, one minute my wlan1 is there, next minute its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Networking problem with Alfa AWUS036H

Hi there

i am trying to connect my AWUS036H to my Compaq CQ60 laptop running Ubuntu 10.10.

when i check ifconfig, one minute my wlan1 is there, next minute its not,

if i try to do a sudo ifconfig wlan1 up i get,
    wlan1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    and when i try it again it accepts the command no probs, i suspect this is because the device is in and out every few seconds.

when i checked rfkill, i found a hard block which i resolved with unblock all,

i have checked the unit under windows and it works just fine so i suspect it is a problem with my ubuntu,

any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks
    P

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Post the output of lsusb and lsmod so we can see what device id's are in use and what driver it is associated with. You should probably do this when it is recognized by the system. If it uses a proprietary driver on Windows, then you may need to use the ndiswrapper driver with that driver and associated firmware to get more reliable behavior. Just swagging it now, since I am not familiar with this device, other than a quick google to see what it was.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi there. I appears it may be a power related issue with the usb as the device is quite meaty at 500ma. I shall address this problem first and have ordered a usb y adaptor to double it to 1ah see if it resolves it
    thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close