Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm about to update from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS. I`m hoping somebody can help me with the following two questions..... Do I get the oportunity during the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

updating 8.04 to 10.04 plese help

Hi I'm about to update from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS. I`m hoping somebody can help me with the following two questions.....
    Do I get the oportunity during the update to carry forward settings and/or software (some cost me a real headache to setup initially, e.g. Scanner from Epson).
    Is there a sofware I can use to store settings/config and/or software packets from 8.04 so that one click restores everything should some setting not be carried forward during update (I'm thinking here of something similar to a „save registry settings“ from Windows). Much obliged for any help here

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    System wide settings are held in the /etc/ directory and user settings are in hidden files and folders in the users home directory. I wouldn't recommend blindly copying the 8.04 /etc over the 10.04 /etc as there may be changes in the way things are configured. The same applies to the configuration data in your home directory.

There's a two year gap between the Ubuntu versions you are talking about so there may be better support for your scanner built in now. It might be worth booting a live CD and checking it out.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent