Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Good day...did a search and found a thread for Ubuntu 7 but wanted to make sure the answer still applied. I have a HP Mini 210-1000 with Ubuntu 10.10 desktop...had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Dropped wifi - Ubuntu 10.10

Good day...did a search and found a thread for Ubuntu 7 but wanted to make sure the answer still applied.
    I have a HP Mini 210-1000 with Ubuntu 10.10 desktop...had the Notebook edition but its apparently not that good on notebooks ( go figure) anyway connects well and stays hooked up for about an hour then I lose the connection...when I try to reestablish, it continually scans asks for password and when supplied continues to scan and does not connect...I tried rebooting and it just continues to scan... no connect...if the unit is shutdown for a period of time it then works...there is a small amount of warmth on the bottom of the netbook but nothing even approaching hot...it may be kind of heat related, but I doubt it..
    any suggestions

Gene

When you reboot, is the driver loading?

Check
    Code:
    lsmod | grep wl
    No output would mean it's not loading. If that's the case, add it to the list of modules to load at boot
    Code:
    echo "wl" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

Just Joined!
    I would have to wait until it does this again to try...what is that symbol between
    lsmod and grep

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It's the pipe symbol. Usually located just above the Enter key, on the same key as the backslash.

Just Joined!
    Roger that...when the symptoms arise again, I will give the commands a shot...thanks..will get back to you with the results one way or another

Just Joined!
    Update:
    I think it also may have something to do with a/c power/battery power...I have turned it on and its been on for something like 4 hours but plugged into a/c...yesterday when it happened to me and likely the times before, it was on battery power as I was using it in my chair during the Nascar race...will unplug it now for a couple of hours to see..

Ah, yes. I have seen reports of power management issues with the wl driver. You can try disabling power management.

Code:
    sudo iwconfig eth1 power off
    The following should make that permanent.
    Create a file
    Code:
    sudo touch /etc/pm/power.d/wireless
    Open the file with a text editor
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/pm/power.d/wireless
    Paste in these lines and save
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /sbin/iwconfig eth1 power off

Just Joined!
    No output after that first command of checking if driver was loading...do not understand where I add that command to a list of modules that load..newbie here..do you think I should go ahead with those last four commands...not sure how to accomplish the last two..text editor..is there one loaded with Ubuntu...where do I save it after the last little phrase was pasted in...sorry for being so clueless

Just Joined!
    its odd, a couple of times in the last few weeks when going into the terminal and entering a command code...it will ask for my password....i go to the blinking cursor and try and add it, but it doesnt print what I am typing..cursor stays in the same spot and just flashes. when I try to enter what I type , even though the cursor doesnt move, I will get "Sorry, try again."

Just Joined!
    for this command : sudo iwconfig eth1 power off
    I got:

Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; No such device.
    Password entry still didnt look like it was working but when I hit enter I got the above.

I am back on a/c power now

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast