Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am using Ubuntu 10.04 64bit. I got problems when trying to add LD_LIBRARY_PATH as a global environment variable. Code: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/Coin/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH I tried adding the above line ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] cannot set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in ~/.profile, /etc/profile

Hello all,

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 64bit. I got problems when trying to add LD_LIBRARY_PATH as a global environment variable.

Code:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/Coin/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    I tried adding the above line to ~/.profile and /etc/profile, logged out and in, but neither of them worked.

Actually I want to run a program from the graphical environment which needs to find the shared library from /usr/local/Coin/lib.

Adding the above line to ~/.bashrc or /etc/bash.bashrc can make the LD_LIBRARY_PATH visible in the command line, but not global. So the program wouldn't see the path and wouldn't start.

I can start the program from the command line to get around this problem. But just curious why that happened and how we can fix it?

It seems that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is either reset during the system startup , or ignored in ~/.profile and /etc/profile.

Any idea about this? Thank you very much.

Hmm. So, if you add the above variable to /etc/profile, log-in and out, you can't see the path listed?

Code:
    echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    If your trying to install Coin3D, make sure the other important variables are set too:

Code:
    export COINDIR=/usr/local/Coin
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/Coin/bin
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$COINDIR/lib
    Try throwing the above into one of your startup scripts. Let me know how it goes!

Just Joined!
    When I add the variable to /etc/profile or ~/.profile, log-in and out,
    Code:
    echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    , it shows nothing. And adding the variable to bashrc shows the variable in the command-line but not visible to desktop programs.

I did set all the important variable you mentioned there. All the variables work fine except for LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I am running a program which calls the library of Coin3D. I can start the program from command-line where the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is visible but not directly from desktop. Curious about if there's anyway to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH globally.

Thank you

Damn.. That's strange, all you should need to do (from what I know of) to set a global variable is use the export command. I'll do some more research on this once I get out of work. This is bugging me now.

One thing you could try doing as a workaround is make symbolic links in the '/usr/lib' directory to the library .so files in '/usr/local/Coin/lib'. The linker should be checking /usr/lib and will find them there. Actually, unless I'm mistaken, I believe the majority of data in there are actually sym links.

Just an idea, hopefully we can get to the root of the problem.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for you suggestion on the "symbolic" workaround, actually I tried before and it worked. And yes most data there are sym links.

Wait..I think I just found the doc about the problem.
    From "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables/"

Since Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope, LD_LIBRARY_PATH cannot be set in $HOME/.profile, /etc/profile, nor /etc/environment files. You must use /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf configuration files. See Launchpad bug #366728 for more information.
    I will look into it and find a way out.
    Last edited by ifonly; 03-31-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Just Joined!
    Following that link "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables" and related bug reports, I tried two workarounds to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH a gnome global environment variable. I list them here for who is interested in it. They both worked. Thank you for your help Nagarjuna~

• Add the ld.so configuration file:
        Code:
        echo "/usr/local/Coin/lib" | sudo tee /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libcoin.conf
        (note that, "/usr/local/Coin/lib" is the runtime library path that I want to add in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH as a global enrironment variable. While libcoin.conf is a new file I created, it can be whatever name)
      • Then we need update the cache
        Code:
        sudo ldconfig -v

1. Add LD_LIBRARY_PATH in ~/.profile or /etc/profile.
      Then open /etc/X11/Xsession.options, change
      Code:
      use-ssh-agent
      to
      Code:
      no-use-ssh-agent
      Then log out and in.

Hey, you did it all your self! I'm happy you found the solution to your issue.

It's good to know about this /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ directory. This might come in use if I ever run a Ubuntu machine.

Have fun.