Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey folks: I have a dual monitor setup with a nVidia 7300 card. I'm not sure exactly when this started to happen, but it's happened for a couple of years ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Multi monitor problem w/nVidia 7300 card

Hey folks:

I have a dual monitor setup with a nVidia 7300 card. I'm not sure exactly when this started to happen, but it's happened for a couple of years at least. when I'm in one or the other monitor the cursor will sometimes "stick" in that monitor and refuse to go to the other monitor. it'll just 'wrap around' as when I go to the right part of the monitor, it'll then jump to the left side, and vice versa.

Also once in awile, if I'm in one monitor, the cursor will be taken away and put on the other monitor.

I'm just now starting to see a few patterns on what's happening. It's worse if I have VCL playing in the left monitor, (my secondary), and I've got a program maximized in the right (primary) monitor. That's when it'll 'stick' on the right monitor. After I roll up the program or minimize it, then it'll free the mouse. But it's not instant. After it's freed, it still doesn't work exactly. If you click on any program on the left monitor, then you have to move back and forth before the mouse will work on the left monitor.

The second problem I'm having happens only on the secondary monitor. At times the precision is WAY off. For example, if I try to put the mouse right on an icon, and click it. It won't work. But if I move the mouse over to the right or left, suddenly the pop-up comment box pops up, the icon is highlighted and clicking will run the program. It can be off as much as 100 pixels!

I've seen these problems in all sorts of GUIs; XFCE, DXCE, KDE 3.x (I never tried it in KDE 4.x since it was nearly unusable) and Gnome. Right now I've only see this on Ubuntu 8.04.01, to 9.10 (I never went past 9.10), and at first I thought it was X since all GUIs had problems. But someone now says that nVidia's driver might be to blame. If you can tell me what command to type in at the terminal, I can supply the current video driver's version.

- Kc

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What nVidia driver are you using? And did you install it from the Ubuntu repositories, or did you install it via a .run file from nVidia?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Rubberman:

for some reason I didn't get an e-mail alert, so I spotted this when I came back for another answer. The video was an old one, yes. I've strongly suspected it was the video driver, but until I saw this, I didn't think too much of it

I'm now moving to D6 here, and /trying/ to install the newest driver, but nothing I've done works. I hope once I get it more updated, it'll work right. Or I may even just go for another distro that doesn't use the nouveau driver so I can install the real nVIDIA driver.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    What nVidia driver are you using? And did you install it from the Ubuntu repositories, or did you install it via a .run file from nVidia?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    All of the current systems will use the nouveau driver by default. I think they started that with 10.04 or 9.10. I believe that 9.04 still used the old nv driver.

Just Joined!
    All of the current systems will use the nouveau driver by default. I think they started that with 10.04 or 9.10. I believe that 9.04 still used the old nv driver.
    Wonderful to know. An experimental, not to be used video driver (their words) is now default. Wonder what they was smokin? I just downloaded linux mint, and tried it. It wouldn 't even /install/

Guess I'm done with nVIDIA cards now. I'll have to see what the Asus Eee has in it. I'm using D6/KDE 4.7 w the Beryl cube without a bit of a fuss on it.

- Kc

The problem isn't with nVidia. It is with the distributions that are trying to keep all drivers and such fully open sourced, which the nVidia proprietary drivers are not. The nVidia drivers work very well indeed, but they don't play nice with nouveau. On SL6 (clone of RHEL 6) I even had to go so far as reconfigure/rebuild the kernel because there was some hardwired nouveau cruft that kept me from installing the proprietary nVidia driver. Since the nouveau driver would hang when rendering full-motion video, I had to take that step. Fortunately, with 8 cores and plenty of RAM, it only takes 15-20 minutes to build and install the kernel.

Just Joined!
    The problem isn't with nVidia. It is with the distributions that are trying to keep all drivers and such fully open sourced, which the nVidia proprietary drivers are not. The nVidia drivers work very well indeed, but they don't play nice with nouveau. On SL6 (clone of RHEL 6) I even had to go so far as reconfigure/rebuild the kernel because there was some hardwired nouveau cruft that kept me from installing the proprietary nVidia driver. Since the nouveau driver would hang when rendering full-motion video, I had to take that step. Fortunately, with 8 cores and plenty of RAM, it only takes 15-20 minutes to build and install the kernel.
    Well that does tell me a lot. Thanks. I'm guessing I've either got to install D6 without any GUI or video card (which my old Debian 5.03 disks do) then install the nVIDIA driver from their site, then KDE. Or else buy a new video card that linux will install, without a problem. My Asus Eee had no problems, nor my ancient T22, just the nVidia main system.

Do you think one of those two options will work?

- Kc

I personally would not bother with reinstalling, but would boot into text mode (runlevel 3 on RH systems), remove the nouveau driver with the apt-get command, reboot into text mode, then install the proprietary nVidia driver that you download from their web site. See how that works.

Just Joined!
    Ok FINALLY I'm making progress. I finally found out how to boot up, w/out the nouveau driver (with grub), but there's additional problems. It's 11pm now, but I think with a number of apt-get downloads, will finally fix the problem. I'm already drawing up a HOWTO for this board.

I'll write again, if I get this finally fixed. Thanks for the help. YOur the only one who's been able to help.

I personally would not bother with reinstalling, but would boot into text mode (runlevel 3 on RH systems), remove the nouveau driver with the apt-get command, reboot into text mode, then install the proprietary nVidia driver that you download from their web site. See how that works.