Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings fellows, I've been using Ubuntu 10.10 for almost a year now and I'm really happy with it. I completely uninstall windows from my computer I'm able to do everything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ink Levels Epson Stylus TX110

Greetings fellows,

I've been using Ubuntu 10.10 for almost a year now and I'm really happy with it. I completely uninstall windows from my computer I'm able to do everything a used to do on Windows now on Linux, and even more... except for one thing... I cannont see the ink levels of my printer. It's a multifunction Epson Stylus TX110.

I installed escputil and used the command "sudo escputil -i -u -r /dev/usblp0", the printer then starts making noise and no matter how long I wait, it never presents any info or displays the message: "device is busy" with no info about the ink levels.

I would really appreciate your help on this issue.

Thank a lot in advance.

Regards

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've been using Epson printers with my Linux systems for over 3 years, and haven't been able to get the ink levels to be displayed at all. In fact, the new drivers for RHEL 6 give the notice that the feature is not available when you pull up the printer tools... So, since I have to run Windows XP in a virtual machine, I enable the USB port for the printer, and view it in Windows...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I've been using Epson printers with my Linux systems for over 3 years, and haven't been able to get the ink levels to be displayed at all. In fact, the new drivers for RHEL 6 give the notice that the feature is not available when you pull up the printer tools... So, since I have to run Windows XP in a virtual machine, I enable the USB port for the printer, and view it in Windows...
    Thanks a lot for your response Rubberman. It a shame that there's no support for that. I really have no intentions of using windows just to see my printer ink levels. Do you know a way to report this bug to gutenprint or something like that? Thanks a lot

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't think that the Gutenprint team can help with that. Avasys.jp is the organization that handles all of Epson's Linux printer and scanner drivers. You can send them a gripe, but I'm not sure how much good that will do... Anyway, the URL is www.avasys.jp

Thanks a lot

thanks a lot Rubberman, I've already wrote about it on that webpage. I know it's hard to be heard, but you never know, maybe they'll take that into consideration.

Have a great day.

Regards,

I'll add my 2cents worth there as well, along with notification of my position in the IEEE. Sometimes that gets people's attention.

It worked!!! (Solved)

Thanks a lot Rubberman. I received a reply of people from Avasys y told me to use their driver. I downloaded it from the avasys website.

Read the manual, uninstall the former, installed this one and then used as root the command: ekpstm

Now I'm able to see my printer's ink level. Great!!

Have a nice day fellow