Find the answer to your Linux question:
This morning the normal Ubuntu updates installed a new version of Skype (2.2.0.25). When I try to open it from the applications menu, I get a message: "Failed to execute ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A Skype related problem

This morning the normal Ubuntu updates installed a new version of Skype (2.2.0.25). When I try to open it from the applications menu, I get a message:

"Failed to execute child process "skype-wrapper" (no such file or directory)"

I can open it using terminal, but then cannot close terminal.

I tried a reinstall of Skype but it did not change anything. So since Skype does run, the problem must be in Ubuntu (from my limited experience).

And since I use Skype all the time, I need help.

Thanks,

Josť

Linux User
    Go to System/Preference/MainMenu (likely)/Internet/Scype and press properties and remove -wrapper

Just Joined!
    Very good... very simple... it helps to have people around who understand these things.

So many thanks,

Josť

Linux User
    Had the same problem yesterday and had to search the Ubuntu site for help. please mark the thread as solved.

Just Joined!

A Skype related problem

I prefer not to bring a Skype problem here, but I could not get any solution from their forum.

I run Ubuntu 10.04 and had my web camera working fine by loading with LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

But with the latest update to Skype 2.2.0.25 I can only get a blank (black) screen on testing. It continues to work in Cheese, so the problem seems that the new Version of Skype is not compatable with the old fix.

Something changed, and hopefully someone can suggest what and how to fix it.

Thanks,

Josť

Linux Newbie
    Moi,

I had a similar experience but from opposite angle. I had a pre-2.2 version of skype that worked fine. I then upgraded from SuSE 11.2 to 11.3 after which skype refused to give me anything other than a scrambled image.

I also do the LD_PRELOAD thing. I installed 2.2 and everything went back to normal.

I agree with your assessment that some of the underware is mismatched. Try to strace the skype and try to figure out which system calls are related to the camera and get an update of those libraries.

Cheers - VP

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Unfortunately, Skype's support for Linux leaves a lot to be desired - and that is an understatement! I finally got it working on my RHEL 6 (Scientific Linux 6 actually) workstation. I installed the "static" 32-bit version. Unfortunately, it was not built with static linkages, and still required a whole bunch of 32-bit shared libraries. After a few days of futzing and installing missing shared libraries (after figuring out which packages they were contained in), I got it working, even with video!

Skype's tech support did get back to me, and indicated which packages/libraries were required, which helped a little bit, but I still had to do all the heavy lifting, testing, and configuring! Sorry Skype, but you get a great big FAIL on this project, even if I can now phone conference with colleagues and clients. My time is billed at $200 USD per hour. I figure you owe me several thousand dollars for using your software...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I've got the problem too but can't fix it.

I can't get any reference to -wrapper when I open the properties page.

Help, please?

Just Joined!
    From another forum - try changing the command line in the skype icon to "env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype"

It worked for me with my previous version of Skype, but now with the latest version the command line of just "skype" works fine.

I am using Fedora 14 with a Logitech webcam.

Just Joined!
    Many thanks from me to. If you know what you are doing life can be so easy . Thanks again.