Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All: I know this has been asked, but I can't seem to figure out which answer will work for me. I'm not a programmer. I am an experienced computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Get Ubuntu to boot first

Hello All:

I know this has been asked, but I can't seem to figure out which answer will work for me.

I'm not a programmer. I am an experienced computer user, and have been using 10.04 for about 6 months.

I rarely use my Vista OS, and have to sit with my computer as it boots up, so I can select Ubuntu during the process.

Vista was on the machine when I installed 10.04, but I would really like it (10.04) to boot first.

I have posted on the Ubuntu site, also.

Is there anyone who can explain this to me in English?

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Linux Guru
    Your Ubuntu Grub menu is in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file. Near the top, there should be a line that says set default="0", the number may be different. Count down to the menuentry line where Ubuntu is and put that number after set default. I think Grub2 still counts from zero for this, try it if it doesn't work, change the number counting from one on the menuentries.

Just Joined!

Thanks

Best reply I have received. How do I get to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file?

Thanks,

Dave

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    How do I get to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file?
    ??The boot directory is in the root of your filesystem. I don't have an Ubuntu system available but, I believe if you click on the Applications tab at the upper left of your Desktop, and browse the drop-down menu, you will be able to find Terminal. Click it and when it opens enter: sudo nautilus. This should open the nautilus filemanager with administrative privileges which you will need to modify the grub.cfg file. Click the up arrow at the top until you are in the root directory (not the root user directory) and open it then open the grub directory.

Or you could open a terminal and type: sudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg to open the file. You will be prompted in either case for your user password.

Just Joined!

Thanks

I understand now. Thanks for your help. I'll get to it Monday.

Regards,

Dave