Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, Please tell me, how would I enable dual booting for my Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows7. What happened was, I installed Windows 7 earlier, then I removed the hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb dual BOOTING help: for Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows7

Hi there,

Please tell me, how would I enable dual booting for my Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows7. What happened was, I installed Windows 7 earlier, then I removed the hard disk ( unplugged it physically, I have 3 HDD.. so I installed Windows 7 in 1TB, Ubuntu in 20 GB and I have other HDD of 500GB)..anyway... so I unplugged it physically and Installed Ubuntu 10.10 on the 20 GB HDD. Cause i was scared and did not want to take the risk of accidentally wiping off my 1TB HDD ( windows 7 boot hdd)...

and now, if I want to boot into Windows 7 then I set the HARD DISK priority for 1TB first in the BIOS boot priority.. and then I can get into Windows 7...

similarly.. I have to change the Hard disk priority for 20GB to 1st in the BIOS boot priority to boot into the Ubuntu.

Now what I want is, tell me, some measure or step that I would take ,, to create a dual boot.. for both my OS .

I need to be given an option to choose which OS I want to boot into.. in the beginning only.... by the computer... I hope I made myself clear...

GIVE ME AS MUCH VARIOUS PROCESSES or WAYS.. you know...

Including.. some easy steps too.. he hee
    THANKS for help..... everyone.. thank you very much...

Linux Guru
    Since you did not have your windows 7 drive attached when you installed Ubuntu, there is not way the Ubuntu bootloader would know there is any other operating system available and therefore you would get no entry in the boot menu.

You can open a terminal and run: sudo update-grub in Ubuntu and reboot and you should then see an entry for windows 7. You would obviously have to have the windows 7 drive attached. After doing this, you would need to have your Ubuntu drive set to first boot priority.

Might be useful to read a Grub2 tutorial for Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...sing%20devices

Quote Originally Posted by Prad007 View Post
    Hi there,

Please tell me, how would I enable dual booting for my Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows7. What happened was, I installed Windows 7 earlier, then I removed the hard disk ( unplugged it physically, I have 3 HDD.. so I installed Windows 7 in 1TB, Ubuntu in 20 GB and I have other HDD of 500GB)..anyway... so I unplugged it physically and Installed Ubuntu 10.10 on the 20 GB HDD. Cause i was scared and did not want to take the risk of accidentally wiping off my 1TB HDD ( windows 7 boot hdd)...

and now, if I want to boot into Windows 7 then I set the HARD DISK priority for 1TB first in the BIOS boot priority.. and then I can get into Windows 7...

similarly.. I have to change the Hard disk priority for 20GB to 1st in the BIOS boot priority to boot into the Ubuntu.

Now what I want is, tell me, some measure or step that I would take ,, to create a dual boot.. for both my OS .

I need to be given an option to choose which OS I want to boot into.. in the beginning only.... by the computer... I hope I made myself clear...

GIVE ME AS MUCH VARIOUS PROCESSES or WAYS.. you know...

Including.. some easy steps too.. he hee
    THANKS for help..... everyone.. thank you very much...
    I have done this successfully and here's what I did.
    I wiped the hard drive and created 2 equal partitions using gparted (or something similar).
    Installed Windows to one of the partitions, and then installed Linux to the other (during the Linux install you will be asked if you want to share the drive so you can have a dualboot setup). That's about it. You can find more detailed help by using Google or some other search engine. Good Luck!

Just Joined!

Dual boot Win 7 and Linux

I multiboot Linux, Win7 and Win XP all from the initial boot screen, these on seperate HDDs.

I use a free bootloader EasyBCD (Google it), there are instructions on the site, it is easy to use, it must be! since I can make it work.

Download it to Windows and add the entries. When adding the Linux entry make sure that you specify Grub 2 from the drop down list.

If the Linux bootloader appears when you select Linux at start up you can stop it showing by setting the Linux Start manager to 0 seconds delay and this will bypass the Linux bootloader screen. You might have to install Start up Manager in Linux.

toolman59