Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Lenovo X100e Netbook with Windows 7 Starter Edition. I wanted to try out linux for a change as windows was getting slower..as a dualboot... Started out trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Help Reqd - Ubuntu Netbook

I have a Lenovo X100e Netbook with Windows 7 Starter Edition.
    I wanted to try out linux for a change as windows was getting slower..as a dualboot...
    Started out trying Joli Cloud OS..it was excellent but the only problem (i dont known whether i am completely right ) was that i could not manage my hDD files easily with that os..i removed the os ( was installed thru windows OS)
    I downloaded Ubuntu Netbook Remix and tried booting a live image .. it worked fine except a glitch ( there were some vertical white coloured lines somewhere , examples folder wont open )..but still wanted to install it..
    I have a drive with 20 gb free space and want to install Ubuntu Netbook remix into it dualbooting with windows 7
    Please guide me...
    I want it to be installed in such a way that i can (if i want) remove ubuntu without much hassles...

One way to go about it can be found here. The instructions are for Mint, but should work just fine for Ubuntu.

Just Joined!

Question

I did as per the website .. the wubi installation went fine but after reboot the installation sort of hanged during ' Verifying Installation COnfigration' with messages like ..XXXX.XXXXX (X went on changing) rtl9891 (something like that) ...and some more messages pls help me...

Would it be possible for you to post the actual message for us?
    If a screen-shot is out of the question, maybe you could upload a picture taken with a digital camera?

Just Joined!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by FlintLock View Post
    Would it be possible for you to post the actual message for us?
    If a screen-shot is out of the question, maybe you could upload a picture taken with a digital camera?
    Sure...ill do it as soon as i can....
    (btw : i used Daemon Tools instead of the one suggested on the site to mount the iso image ...bt i dont think it should matter)
    I m presently running Joli Cloud Os(again) .. is there any way to perform basic File Handling ( Copy, paste delete in it) ..?

You know more about Joli Cloud than I do...
    Never used it, personally.

If copy/paste is a no go for it, maybe a drag'n'drop function is there somewhere?

According to their blog post, Joli Cloud has a built in file browser.
    Joli OS 1.2 Feature List – Jolicloud Blog

3rd entry in that post.

Just Joined!
    Well..they have a file 'browser' ..but thats it...i can view files open movies..view pics ...but cant cut , copy , paste delete files

I found this comment on their blog;

It’s true that launching “Local Apps” and then “More Apps” brings up Nautilus (or that I can run Nautilus with Alt-F2) but that’s not going to very obvious to someone new
    Hope that helps.