Find the answer to your Linux question:
G'Day; I just installed a new VGA card which requires nvidea GT440 drivers, downloaded and activated the drivers, all good, reboot No good, ended up at a dos loke screen, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

nVidia Drivers

G'Day; I just installed a new VGA card which requires nvidea GT440 drivers, downloaded and activated the drivers, all good, reboot No good, ended up at a dos loke screen, enter commands etc but no GUI, tried recovery boot no good same place, does any one have any ideas.
    Running Ubuntu 10.10
    Kind Regards Miykel

Post the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you have one.

Post the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

G'Day Reed9; Thanks for the reply, I couldn't get into the OS to do anything, all I could do was to log in, in the DOS screen but that got me nowhere, I typed sudo reboot and booted into W7 and deleted the partition and reloded Ubuntu.
    I loaded the drivers through the "Additional Drivers Tool" so I assumed they were the correct drivers for the VGA (??)
    Went to the nVidea site and the Linux drivers for this VGA were listed so I'm not sure what's up, is it possible the tool downloaded the incorrect drivers ???
    Kind Regards Miykel

Yes, it is possible. This card is pretty new. The binary nvidia driver available in the Ubuntu repositories is version 260.19.06, the latest nvidia driver is 270.41.06. I've seen reports this latest driver supports your card. You can get a more recent driver from this PPA.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates 
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-graphics-drivers

G'Day reed 9 and thanks for the reply, I'll venture into the code you posted tonight, is there someway I can be sure I have removed the old graphic drivers and ensure the graphics are set to use the generic drivers ??
    Kind Regards Miykel

Just Joined!
    I had nothing but problems using Nvidia cards in Ubuntu. If you use a KVM they will never work. I switched to ATI and have had no issues since.
    Q

G'Day guys, reed9 I run that code but no good just came back to the shell again, getting lots of practice with recovery though, might have to try as qhris said and change VGA cards, when finances permit.
    I'll just stick with the generic graphics for the present, display is about 80% of screen but the monitor is 22 inch so it's not a big drama
    Thanks again for all your help
    Regards Miykel