Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All Experts here!! I have an intermediate level with linux especially ubuntu.I got 3 brand new machines from work a hp g32 i5 that i'm using currently as developer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm also having the blinking cursor after installation of server 10.04

Hello All Experts here!!
    I have an intermediate level with linux especially ubuntu.I got 3 brand new machines from work a hp g32 i5 that i'm using currently as developer machine with ubuntu 10.10 (dual booting though), and 2 servers xeon processor,4gb ram.
    I've installed ubuntu server 10.04 on the first and it's installed perfectly, and with the same dvd installed on the second machine and having the blinking cursor issue.
    I've reinstalled the ubuntu 2 times and still the same problem.I've read on the net to hold the shift key and edit the grub menu as stated in some thread of this forum: and it output a lot of stuffs and the last lines were :
    0 pages in swap cache
    swap cache stats: add0, delete 0, find 0/0
    free swap = 0kb
    total swap = 0kb
    1310720 pages Ram
    1082882 pages HighMem
    283576 pages reserved
    451 pages shared
    208033 pages non-shared
    i did notice in the bios at startup that there was at searching for device there is a virtualdisk of the capacity 499. something and an LSILogic SAS1068E with capacity 2D:09
    i hope i've giving much details that could help you help me. this has been dragging over two days now, i'm wondering if i should take the server back(hardware fault) or tried couple of fix available on the net or pick the 10.10 dvd?
    please let me know thanks thanks for reading this

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What is the video hardware in the machine?

Quick answer (may be wrong): try attaching an external monitor and rebooting. If the external monitor is working, then it is an X server configuration issue, easily enough fixed. Report back here with what you find.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    What is the video hardware in the machine?

Quick answer (may be wrong): try attaching an external monitor and rebooting. If the external monitor is working, then it is an X server configuration issue, easily enough fixed. Report back here with what you find.
    hello thanks for replying, what do you mean by external monitor?if you mean monitor as screen then i've had the monitor attached to it from the beginning,i mean where i can enter things when prompted during installation

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sorry. Brain fart. I was thinking you had a laptop. This has been an issue with some laptops recently where you get the splash screen on the laptop screen, and then a blinking cursor, only to find that output has been redirected to the external monitor port. Since these are desktops or servers, that is not likely the problem, unless you have both built in video as well as an add-in video card. So, please describe your hardware setup, and components.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hello Rebberman, sincere apology for responding only now.I was out of office.When i came yesterday i installed the 10.04.2 and it works. thanks for your precious help and for your time.