Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm a new linux user, and new on this forum as well. I have used the forum substantially from "the outside" over the last year or so, and you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Send signal to audio output device (i.e speakers)

Hello,

I'm a new linux user, and new on this forum as well. I have used the forum substantially from "the outside" over the last year or so, and you guys have helped me out so many times. So thanks for that!

I remember that I could use for example cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp in the past to output noise in my speakers. /dev/dsp doesn't exist in 10.10 it seems. Is there any equivalent command I can use, without having to import modules and modprobing around?

I'm developing a program that is going to read input from the microphone, do some stuff with the audio signal, and then send it out to the speakers. The latency must be as low as possible. Do you fine folks have any ideas how I can solve this?

I've found a thread at LQ [questions/linux-general-1/what-happened-to-dev-dsp-in-ubuntu-10-10-a-862717/"], which discusses how to get dsp back. However, if there's a new standard way to do the /dev/dsp trick, I would prefer to use this instead.

Thanks,

| cidd
    Last edited by cidd; 04-22-2011 at 09:43 PM.