Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am new to Linux and am having trouble setting up VNC on my new XUbuntu installation. I basically want to Remotely control the computer as you do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

TightVNC From Windows 7 to XUbuntu

Hi All,

I am new to Linux and am having trouble setting up VNC on my new XUbuntu installation. I basically want to Remotely control the computer as you do in Windows RDP.

I am using XUbuntu 9.10 and am trying to connect from a Windows 7 Machine Using TightVNC viewer.

So far I have spent about half a day looking on the internet trying to work out my problem. Most of the solutions tell you to edit a file, and in all but one of the solutions the files do not exist. The only solution that made any sense was this one: skullbox.net/vncserver.php. I did exactly what it said and now I don't even get a terminal window when I VNC in, all I see is a blank grey/hatched window, I have attached a picture of what I see.

I can quite easily putty in and log on as root user e.t.c., but I want to see the desktop as you do in RDP.

Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Joined!
    Screw it. All the info I found on the web doesn't help, there always seems to be a step that I can't do because the menu doesn't exist or a command doesn't work, and no-one seems interested to help on this forum.

I'm cutting my losses on XUbuntu and just installing regular Ubuntu, from what I have been reading it has most of the remote desktop stuff inbuilt.

Unfortunate because XUbuntu runs so beautifully on my old and tired Laptop.

Just Joined!
    Whooo! Ubuntu's Remote Desktop works straight away! Awesome...