Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I just joined this forum because i really have some troubles installing Linux on my dekstop, i am using Windows XP but i have some questions.. I want that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu install error

Hey,

I just joined this forum because i really have some troubles installing Linux on my dekstop, i am using Windows XP but i have some questions..
    I want that Linux is my only OS on my desktop and so i dont want Windows XP on it, now i think only way installing Linux is the way you have a live CD.
    So how do i make my PC only having Linux?

There are a number of ways to install linux, but a live cd or usb stick are the most common.

Pretty much any distro will have documentation on their website on how to install. For example, Ubuntu:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

And you can find walthroughs on installation for many distros from howtogforge.com. Just search for "the perfect desktop". Their guides are overkill as far as how much stuff they advise installing, but it's not a bad starting point.

Most distro's have an "install" link on the live cd. This is what I always use. Follow the install guide, and it will help you set up a generic linux system. After you have finnished installing, you can customize by adding or deleting programs, setting walpaper, swapping DE/WM's etc. Have fun, and don't forget, if you make a mistake on the install, just pop your live cd back in and try again.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Most distro's have an "install" link on the live cd. This is what I always use. Follow the install guide, and it will help you set up a generic linux system. After you have finnished installing, you can customize by adding or deleting programs, setting walpaper, swapping DE/WM's etc. Have fun, and don't forget, if you make a mistake on the install, just pop your live cd back in and try again.
    I have installed ubuntu 10.10 on my machine as a second OS with windows xp as my first.
    I downloaded the .iso file, burned to a cd and found installing was a breaze, the options were to run from cd (live cd), install on my machine. when you decide to run on the machine, you are faced with the options to install on the entire drive which will overwrite anything else on your hard drive or you can install on a partition on the drive, if you decided to install on a partition you can choose, by using a simple slider, how much of the drive you want to use as the ubuntu partition, giving you total control. the partition is created when the installation starts so you do not need to know any code to partition your hard drive.

of course, it goes without saying, if you install over your existing operating system, dont forget to backup any files you want to keep.