Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i heard about that Ubuntu now finally releasing it's new version of Ubuntu distribution. It will launch on 28 april.. so please tell me how to use this version on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to switch ubuntu 10.10 to ubuntu natty narwhal 11.04

i heard about that Ubuntu now finally releasing it's new version of Ubuntu distribution. It will launch on 28 april..
    so please tell me how to use this version on ubuntu 10.10

is there any possible strategy to switch on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Just Joined!
    Reed, I've been using Ubuntu for over 2 years now, but still consider myself a noob. Telling someone that Arch is the way to go is like telling a back-yard mechanic to work on an Indy racer. It may be a fine piece of work, but that doesn't mean that anyone that uses it can go to the top of the class just because you cut your teeth on it. Cut us a little slack.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Um, I didn't suggest moving to Arch at all. I posted a link on how to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04. Unless you're referring to the link in my signature?

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I didn't pay attention and wasn't aware that the only thing in your reply was a link.

That being said, is it considered safe to upgrade to a pre-release version of Ubuntu?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by BillybobT View Post
    Sorry, I didn't pay attention and wasn't aware that the only thing in your reply was a link.

That being said, is it considered safe to upgrade to a pre-release version of Ubuntu?
    The release is expected this week. For those who want ultra stable software, you are best off sticking with the Long Term Stable (LTS) release, 10.04, the third such release. (The others were 6.06 and 8.04). But if you already have the 10.10 release installed and have found it to be adequate for your needs, the 11.04 release is due to be released on April 28, and the differences in the packages between now and the release date are minimal. If you are satisfied overall with 10.10 but curious about 11.04, there are a couple of things that you can do. One possibility is to download the ISO image, then run it using Virtualbox OSE. The other relatively safe approach is to fully back up your system (always a wise approach anyway), then upgrade to 11.04 using the instructions suggested in the link provided by reed9.

I've been testing a couple of the Ubuntu based releases for 11.04, and I feel that there are not a lot of glaring issues to cause problems, but the best way to find out if that applies is to test it yourself. Use a test box if you can or a Virtual instance if you are concerned about stability, or just press forward if you are not that concerned. Back up your work before you start and limit any great risk, just in case you are not happy with what you end up with, and that way you have alternatives.
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com

Just Joined!
    The one thing I've been hearing about as a big difference is Unity. I'm still not sure what all the hype is about. I thought it was supposed to be a Netbook thing, not the default for desktops.

I always back up my system when I upgrade. Usually, in addition to that, I use alternate partitions on my hard drive to install to just in case. I've tried to use Virtualbox on numerous occasions with most success using it to run Windows programs that I can't find a solution for in Linux. Most of the Linux distros I've tried seem to be a bit quirky.

Just Joined!
    now I got this option to download the new version of Ubuntu Desktop Edition..

simply just go to Ubuntu website and download the mirror link for beta version of Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal .

otherwise If u are using Ubuntu previous version just ...follow instruction

press Alt+F2..
    run application box will open then just enter
    update manager -d
    If there is new version is out there It will surely highlight and click on download.

Just Joined!

the thing that seems to be missing

from this dialogue is "why"? is 10.10 not working? will 11.04 make you young again?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwpbike View Post
    from this dialogue is "why"? is 10.10 not working? will 11.04 make you young again?
    Yes.... yes it will....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast