Find the answer to your Linux question:
G'Day guys, I'd firstly like to thank everyone who helped me earlier, Finally got everything up and running, except for the nvidia graphics drivers, tried 4 different methods but always ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Screen resolution

G'Day guys, I'd firstly like to thank everyone who helped me earlier, Finally got everything up and running, except for the nvidia graphics drivers, tried 4 different methods but always ended up back at the shell, so I gave up, for now,
    I have a couple of questions I hope can be answered,
    Is there somewhere I can learn more about the codes used and how to string them together to form a command ??
    And is there some way I can get my display to fit the screen without the nvidia drivers, I think the generic drivers are nouveau.
    The VGA card is a Gigabyte GT440.
    Many Thanks Miykel

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The nVidia driver will not install if nouveau is, and you have to install it when the system is completely in text mode. So, you have to do this:

1. Uninstall completely the nouveau driver.
    2. Switch completely to text mode. From command line: sudo telinit 3
    3. Install nVidia driver.

You might be able to do it this way:

1. Switch completely to text mode (as #2 above).
    2. Uninstall the nouveau driver using apt-get.
    3. Install the nVidia driver.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

G'Day Rubberman; Thanks for taking the time to reply; before I try this method I'd just like to ask a couple of questions first; is text mode anything like Ctrl+Alt+F1 ( I think thats the combo ) to get into the shell ??.
    I'm just a bit hesitant in trying to install the nvidia drivers again as I've tried 4 different methods, 2 of which included removing the nouveau drivers first, neither worked, one I was able to use the recovery mode and retrieve the OS the other I had to delete the partition and reinstall the OS
    I'm quite prepared to have another go I just want to be sure I'm not doing the same thing again, also whats the rest of the code to uninstall the nouveau drivers ???
    Kind regards Miykel
    (( Quick Reply ??? lol ))

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Switching into text mode with Ctrl-Alt-FN (1-6) just puts you into text mode, but doesn't actually shut down the X server. In order to install the proprietary nVidia drivers directly, you have to shut down X altogether, which is the reason behind the 'telinit 3' command, which will switch off the X server altogether, putting you into multi-user console mode.

Unfortunately, removing the nouveau driver is a PITA, depending upon how the kernel was configured. On RHEL 6, you have to actually reconfigure and recompile the kernel... Totally stupid, in aces, if you ask me. In any case, just removing nouveau and installing nvidia from the synaptic package manager on Ubuntu will probably not work, as you have seen. However, I think that the Ubuntu kernels do not need reconfiguring, but if you are in text mode (run level 3) and use apt-get (aptitude) to remove nouveau, and then install the downloaded driver from nVidia, that should work (it did for my 10.10 laptop).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

G'Day Rubberman; Your inspiring me to try again, I'm really impressed with Ubuntu now I have it running nicely, I need help with the code to remove the nouveau drivers, I thought I had it written down somewhere but I must have lost it during one of my disasters, have a data repository on another partition for just this kind of thing but must not have copied the code to the repository (damn), the other thing is, what is the X server ???
    BTW. How do I get back to the GUI, just reboot or is there something else ??
    Kind Regards Miykel

G'Day again; Been looking round for info re. remove nouveau; would appreciate your critique as to the results I've come up with, just down't want to blow it again. lol.
    I've made a not of the code you said re turn off x server,
    Last time I run this command;

sudo apt-get repository ppa:ubuntu-X-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidea-garphics-drivers

This being a new install of Ubuntu should I run this command again,
    And
    Will this remove nouveau;

sudo apt-get remove --purge Nouveau

Kind Regards Miykel

G'day Rubberman; I tried to run command Telinit 3 but nothing happened !!
    Regards Miykel