Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a newbie to linux, my OS of choice is windows xp, my computers will not run windows 7 so as an alternative I am seriously thinking of changing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cant install or use windows applications in wine

I am a newbie to linux, my OS of choice is windows xp, my computers will not run windows 7 so as an alternative I am seriously thinking of changing to ubuntu after the windows support for xp finishes. with this in mind I have installed ubuntu 10.10 as a second OS on my pc. I like the speed, looks and ease of use of the OS. the only draw back is that I have a lot of windows applications that I run and sometimes beta test for a large british software company, I saw that a windows emulator was available (wine), downloaded, checked the documentation and the database, only to find the only software on the database was games. I have tried several applications (not games) only to get the error message "the file is not marked as executable". is there something I am missing or are they not supported by wine? and could all applications be supported in a future release?

Hi pehorts and welcome to Linuxforums.

If you must test Windows software, I think the most practical solution is to run Windows XP inside a virtual machine such as VirtualBox. The free version is installable with the "Synaptic" package manager in your menu. The non-free version, which has a few more bells and whistles, is available from their website. Once installed, follow the procedure to install Windows inside a virtual machine.

Wine runs some Windows programs well, some fairly and others poorly if at all. You might want to check the WineHQ applications database for which programs have been tried and how they run through wine. As you point out, wine is heavily used for gaming but other Windows applications and programs will run with it too.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

not all of windows application can runned under wine, wine is just a bridge, just a hope to run some application at linux OS.
    Better you use an alternative software/application with search here Windows and OS X Software Alternatives | Linux App Finder the result will show to you, such as if you find photoshop you will know all of alternative application in linux with same function as photoshop like gimp etc...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by pehorts View Post
    I am a newbie to linux, my OS of choice is windows xp, my computers will not run windows 7 so as an alternative I am seriously thinking of changing to ubuntu after the windows support for xp finishes. with this in mind I have installed ubuntu 10.10 as a second OS on my pc. I like the speed, looks and ease of use of the OS. the only draw back is that I have a lot of windows applications that I run and sometimes beta test for a large british software company, I saw that a windows emulator was available (wine), downloaded, checked the documentation and the database, only to find the only software on the database was games. I have tried several applications (not games) only to get the error message "the file is not marked as executable". is there something I am missing or are they not supported by wine? and could all applications be supported in a future release?
    Right click the file you are trying to run > Properties > Mark as Executable.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMSHALL View Post
    Right click the file you are trying to run > Properties > Mark as Executable.
    yes this is the true answer, i didn't read the error message "the file is not marked as executable"
    or the other way with terminal
    Code:
    chmod +x filename.exe

Just Joined!
    thanks guys, I have tried to mark the applications as executable in the properties dialogue but to no avail. I will run windows xp as a virtual machine.