Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All! I just installed Ubuntu Server 10.4.2 LTS (32-bit) on Virtualbox 4.0.6 The install went great everything seemed to work. But after it rebooted for the first time when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu Server 10.4.2 LTS Incorrect login after first time install

Hi All!

I just installed Ubuntu Server 10.4.2 LTS (32-bit) on Virtualbox 4.0.6
    The install went great everything seemed to work. But after it rebooted for the first time when install completed, it is prompting me for a username and password. Note, the only username and password i was prompted to set up was for non-admin stuff. So i tried this username and password i created during install, but it keeps saying 'login incorrect'. I have looked at other threads, although they are mostly for older Ubuntu Server versions, but i couldnt really find anything.
    I tried to reinstall and go through the install slowly but still the same issue.
    i tried Ubuntu for username and no password, tried leaving username and password blank, tried root and the password i created... i tried everything I could think of...
    Not sure which direction to go now... please advise!!!

Boot the vm from a live CD image and chroot in, check contents of /etc/passwd for user name and use passwd your_user_name to reset the password - some examples of doing this here. But reset the password for your regular user - by default root account should not be enabled in Ubuntu

Just Joined!
    Sweet!!! That worked!
    thank you so much!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Glad your sorted ... can you mark the thread solved - it may help others with a similar problem in future