Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Ubuntu 11.04 desktop 64bit Just upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10. But virtualbox can't be located on the menu. Neither I can start it. Please advise how to start it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Upgrade problem

Hi folks,

Ubuntu 11.04 desktop 64bit

Just upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10. But virtualbox can't be located on the menu. Neither I can start it. Please advise how to start it and get it added to the menu. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Interesting.. I'm not sure 100% on how the Ubuntu upgrade process works, but you should be able to start VirtualBox from a command line to verify it still exists on the system. Type the following into your favorite terminal:

Code:
    VirtualBox
    If it starts, verify that everything is still configured the way you had it.

If everything appears to be there, here is a guide to add applications to the menu: Howto Add entries in GNOME Menu

If VirtualBox doesn't start, it shouldn't hurt to install it again. Just be sure to check ~/.VirtualBox for your virtual machines and back them up to play it safe.

I hope this helps.
    “Things derive their being and nature by mutual dependence and are nothing in themselves.”

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagarjuna View Post
    Interesting.. I'm not sure 100% on how the Ubuntu upgrade process works, but you should be able to start VirtualBox from a command line to verify it still exists on the system. Type the following into your favorite terminal:

Code:
    VirtualBox
    If it starts, verify that everything is still configured the way you had it.

If everything appears to be there, here is a guide to add applications to the menu: Howto Add entries in GNOME Menu

If VirtualBox doesn't start, it shouldn't hurt to install it again. Just be sure to check ~/.VirtualBox for your virtual machines and back them up to play it safe.

I hope this helps.
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

It didn't work. I have to uninstall VirtualBox 3,2, the running version. Download and install;
    virtualbox-4.0_4.0.6-71344~Ubuntu~natty_amd64.deb
    including USB extension

Now VirtualBox revives.

B.R.
    satimis