Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello fellows, I've just upgraded my Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04, however I'm getting troubles with it. In 10.10 I had no problem at all, I could use all desktop effects ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Graphics problem after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04

Hello fellows,

I've just upgraded my Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04, however I'm getting troubles with it.

In 10.10 I had no problem at all, I could use all desktop effects with compiz(cube, effects on windows, etc). However since I'm using 11.04 I'm no able to use no even the most basic desktop efects, the only way to work is using the mode Ubuntu Classic with no effects, and even so there's some weird pixeling at the right lower and upper part of the screen.

If I log in in modes Ubuntu or Ubuntu Classic with effects, the screen starts blinking and it doesn't allow me to see the menu or windows. Some times the windows get stuck at the upper panel without the minimize, maximize and close buttons.

Since I was able to use all desktop effects in the former version, shouldn't I be able to do it in this one?

I appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Linux Guru
    Sounds like you need to install the graphics driver again since upgrade which is mentioned

Ubuntu: it runs Unity. It requires 3D driver support.
    Ubuntu 11.04 Beta | Ubuntu

10 things to do after installing Ubuntu 11.04

Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your reply,

In my case I use an intel onboard video output and the driver for it is included in the kernel.

Actually, I upgrade from my home with my onboard video (but newer) and I had no trouble using unity and desktop effects.

I imaging the problem is because of the limited video capabilities of hardware on the other computer, however what confuses me is that I was able to use all the effects with 3d cube, etc before making the upgrade.

Regards,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    You might have to uninstall Unity on that older Gear. I am not a eye candy user so I am not proficient with Compiz or advanced graphics. I run Icewm, Fluxbox, and E17 for Desktops mostly.

Maybe someone else here at the forum can help you with your confusion as to

however what confuses me is that I was able to use all the effects with 3d cube, etc before making the upgrade.
    I expect a lot of posts like these as Ubuntu goes through it's recent changes.
    Especially when it comes to older Hardware.

G'Day guys, Had a major problem when I upgraded to 11.04, all went well at first, then when the desktop opened I received a message that my hardware was not good enough for Unity, except I have a new Gigabyte 1 Gb ddr3 VGA and a i5 Quadcore 3.33 CPU, so I don't know what's required, then at reboot I come to a black screen GNU Grub Version 1.99 rc1 - 13 Ubuntu3, then that was that, boot into W7, delete partition, reinstall 10.10. Be nice to know what that was all about.
    Regards Miykel

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot for your help rokytnji,

You are right, since 11.04 has just been released I imaging is still a little buggy and it won't support my old hardware. Anyway at least it work great at my home.

As for Miykel, I imaging your problem was due to the driver, I guess you have to activate the privative driver support in order to work.

Regards,