Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys this is a post i made on another linux forum and weve pretty much come to a conclusion im just after another opinion on the matter Ok hopefully ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu i386

hey guys

this is a post i made on another linux forum and weve pretty much come to a conclusion im just after another opinion on the matter

Ok hopefully i can get a response here, im yet to recieve any helpful responses as of yet towards this subject

Ok first up my setup

AMD Phenom 2 955 3.2
    4GB DDR3 G.Skill Gaming Ram
    HIS ATi 5770 GFX
    Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 tested 32 bit
    Latest wine compiled with the needed patchs

Situation
    all 3D Games under wine run at a very low fps even with the lowest graphics settings, this includes starcraft 2, league of legends, css, etc. using the latest ATi driver and 11.2 and the "tested" additional drivers ubuntu auto installs and yes i followed all the guides to improve performance under wine in all my games and all the custom patchs

Even native games such as Trine, cop lag spikes, and choppyness

Now this does not happen under windows, so i know my card and computer are healthy as can be, there new parts. in windows, in the same games, i get up to 200 fps +

The only conclusion i can come to is an incompatability with ubuntu and the latest ati drivers but i cant find anyone who can confirm this or that has a similiar setup and the same problems

I also see people with better or lower ati cards, some with the same, running these exact games in linux on high graphics with no lag

Now, abit of a turn around is, Trine and native games ran smooth as can be in Fedora 14, i cant remember what drivers i used, i followed there yum guide, but it ran extremely well and with no glitching in the exact same spots were i would glitch heavily in ubuntu

Tho i was unable to test wine games because i couldnt figure out how to compile wine in fedora with a patch i need to run my specific games, in ubuntu it was easy using sudo and apt-get

the only response i got from the ubuntu forums was "get an nvidia card"

I realise wine isnt perfect, but, fact is. other people have these games running fine on similiar cards and setups

I dont know if there using different drivers, or if im doing something extremely wrong or missing an important detail
    After multiple tests and trys

P.S im still yet to try 64bit, tis the one solution i havnt tried

I even went out and traded my HIS 5770 for a nice NVIDIA GTX 460 SE Gigabyte ( i wanted this regardless of linux, its such a sexy card, i had to have it, it has two fans!!! ) and the same problem occured

Anyway haha

I came to the conclusion myself, that the only problem i can see here is incompability with my Phenom 2 955 Black edition and i386, since on i686 optimised distro's or 32bit all together, i run just fine graphically

or im missing some majorly vital piece of information

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nankura View Post

I came to the conclusion myself, that the only problem i can see here is incompability with my Phenom 2 955 Black edition and i386, since on i686 optimised distro's or 32bit all together, i run just fine graphically

or im missing some majorly vital piece of information
    Nah, personally I think it is just WINE. i386 and i686 are almost exactly the same, the i686 just has additional instructions. And the Phenom which is AMD64 is an extension of the 80x86, it has all the registers and instruction sets of the i686 (for the most part)

Anyways, sometimes with WINE stuff just runs slow because it is an abstraction layer on top of the whole system.

I can't post the link because I haven't made 15 posts yet but if you go to WINE's home page you can lookup applications, and see how other users have reviewed their performance under WINE, I very quickly looked up starcraft2 and it got a garbage rating on performance under WINE.

EDIT: fixed spelling errors

I can't post the link because I haven't made 15 posts yet but if you go to WINE's home page you can lookup applications
    I'll take care of that for you.
    WineHQ - Wine Application Database

What bleedingsamurai said is something I recommend to anyone thinking of using wine.
    Check your app before tearing your hair out trying to make it work.

Another tip is to read the user comments included after the app rating.
    Many good tips for getting something to work or make it run faster.

As for AMD and the 32 bit / 64 bit question?
    I've used AMD exclusively since the T-Bird slot A days and can tell you that I've never had a problem with AMD in any version of Linux I've used.
    I changed to 64 bit about 16 months ago and it is pretty much flawless. Before that I had no problems with 32 bit OS's. Actually, I haven't seen much of a difference between the two.