Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi guys [and girls, for that part], Here's what i want to do : i created an USB Ubuntu [10.04], that i want to keep with me. people sometimes ask ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu USB tools

Hi guys [and girls, for that part],
    Here's what i want to do : i created an USB Ubuntu [10.04], that i want to keep with me. people sometimes ask me to hep them with all sorts of windows problems, and i wanted to have a usb linux, that i could load with all kind of tools/software to help.

So, i tried doing some research, into what would be most useful. Antivirus-wise, all the links pointed at Clam AV (i also found a pdf describing how to clean a windows drive from linux - will try that soon - if this thread gathers followers, I'll post the results).
    Do you have any ideas what could i install more ? different AV ? some defragmenting tool? I searched a bit, but on all kinds of forums people just said that linux did not need defragmenting. i know that, but i want a linux tool that defragments NTFS drives.
    Any suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Take a look at the USB version of Parted Magic:

Parted Magic

It has pretty much any utility that you might need for troubleshooting Linux or Windows issues, but it doesn't come with a defragger that I'm aware of and I don't think there are many if any Linux tools that will do that since it is unnecessary for the most part under Linux.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    + I would suggest you ask them to migrate to Linux instead of fixing Wndows and helping the monopoly spread more.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi,
    it is my first post so they do not allow me to include a link
    So, enter "Top 50 Portable Open Source Apps" into Google and most likely the first hit will be the one (it's at Datamation.com). Theere is a lot of it, not only for linux but i'm sure you can find something useful too.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dE_logics View Post
    + I would suggest you ask them to migrate to Linux instead of fixing Wndows and helping the monopoly spread more.
    ) Yes, actually I am trying to get them to move. some are interested, but some ....
    the only thing keeping me (and some of my freinds) in "bill's grasp" is the games. If i could play games (and i am talking latest stuff) in a linux distro i would be very happy.

i will look into your suggestions ASAP.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by iivo View Post
    ) Yes, actually I am trying to get them to move. some are interested, but some ....
    the only thing keeping me (and some of my freinds) in "bill's grasp" is the games. If i could play games (and i am talking latest stuff) in a linux distro i would be very happy.

i will look into your suggestions ASAP.
    Even I have to dual boot windows for that!

Just Joined!
    Even I have to dual boot windows for that!
    Of course, this is one way of solving it.. but is does not address the core issue: needing windows for games. hence, even dual, triple, etc boot, windows is still there, and so are it's problems.

Anyway, this is getting out of course. We all agree there are a lot of reasons people still use windows, and even more to migrate to Linux
    Last edited by iivo; 05-02-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by iivo View Post
    Of course, this is one way of solving it.. but is does not address the core issue: needing windows for games. hence, even dual, triple, etc boot, windows is still there, and so are it's problems.

Anyway, this is getting out of course. We all agree there are a lot of reasons people still use windows, and even more to migrate to Linux
    Problems? You mean reinstalls. I use windows only for gaming... so I don't have any anti-viruses and stuff installed.

I take backups of the windows partition and restore when I need to reinstall. Reinstallation in minutes

Just Joined!
    Problems? You mean reinstall. I use windows only for gaming... so I don't have any anti-viruses and stuff installed.

I take backups of the windows partition and restore when I need to reinstall. Re-installation in minutes
    I understand that, my friend, but the point of the discussion slipped a bit by you:
    I know how to do this. i am using dual boot, etc.
    But the problematic windows-es are at people who don't know how to do that. i cannot [yet] teach my 14 year old brother to use linux. and he manages to get viruses and stuff. already tried once (to get him to use linux). he got bored and in one week abandoned booting in Linux. i'll try again in a a few years. Right now i'm lobbying my dad (50y+) to switch to linux. but now, i need to be able to do win fixing, and i want to do that using a linux usb [so we can get back on track here ]

I took ozar's and your (dE_logics)'s advice, and installed stuff from those two sources. looking forward to get some time to test them on my PC... i probably should find an infected one as well :P.

Anyway, if this thread can be kept open, any new suggestions are welcomed one. Thanks again

I generally carry a Parted Magic usb stick with me. Other good options are SystemRescueCD and grml.

You can also spin your own custom Ubuntu live usb easily enough with the Ubuntu Reconstruction Kit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast