Find the answer to your Linux question:
G'day ;; Can anyone help me I'm trying to copy libflashplayer.so into the firefox plugin directory but I'm told I don't have permission, Regards Miykel...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Flash Player in Firefox

G'day ;; Can anyone help me I'm trying to copy libflashplayer.so into the firefox plugin directory but I'm told I don't have permission,
    Regards Miykel

Quote Originally Posted by Miykel View Post
    G'day ;; Can anyone help me I'm trying to copy libflashplayer.so into the firefox plugin directory but I'm told I don't have permission,
    Regards Miykel
    G'day mate

Welcome to LF!

Have you tried:

Code:
    $ sudo cp Path_to_source_directory Path_to_destination directory.
    or download from

here.

Install and give root password when asked.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    have you tried installing flash .. the classic way ? without copying the file yourself ?
    I just went to the before-mentioned page, selected apt (in case you are running Ubuntu 9+), allowed apturl to handle the install, and presto. flash player installed.

Hope this helps

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Miykel View Post
    You'll need to use sudo so that you have root permissions to copy it to any directory outside of your own /home folder. If you aren't trying to make it usable system-wide (for all users), you can copy it to your /home/your_username/.mozilla/plugins folder and you shouldn't need root permissions for that.
    oz

G'day guys and thanks so much for the replies, I'm still a bit -lot ignorant when it comes to the Linux terminology, I downloaded the tar.gz (??) file to the downloads and extracted it to my home file (?) then tried to copy it into the firefox directory but was not allowed, I've been trying to learn how to handle these files for quite some time but still don't know how to install them after I've downloaded them, which is why I went this way with flash player plug in, I ended up using;

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
    But even though that worked fine I still don't know how to install the tar.gz files.,
    Thanks again guys
    Kind Regards Miykel

Linux Guru
    Miykel:

I googled linux install tar.gz files and got over 2,000,000 hits. The first one was right here so search the forums and you'll likely get a lot of good information.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Miykel:

I googled linux install tar.gz files and got over 2,000,000 hits. The first one was right here so search the forums and you'll likely get a lot of good information.
    You CAN'T install a tar archive.

root file browser

Hi Miykel

to overcome permission issues you can create a " root file-browser"
    right click on main menu (or applications menu)
    edit menus
    select system tools
    click on "+ new item" to create a new menu entry

Type: Application
    Name: Root Filebrowser
    Command: gksu nautilus (or thunar, dolphin, etc)
    Comment: Caution! Browse with root permission
    The icon will be automatically set to the gksu icon

find this new item in: Applications Menu
    when opening the browser you need to give your password
    now you can add, delete or change whatever you like
    but....CAUTION!
    you need to know what is what before deleting anything
    better to ask on a forum before making a mistake
    if changing a file first create a backup copy and add the characters: .bak to the name of the file
    if things go wrong you can use the saved backup copy again
    good luck
    fenario

Just Joined!
    tar.gz is an archive. the windows parallel : you cannot install a .zip file, right ? In windows, you would unzip the .zip file, and find in the extracted files some .exe or something to install. in linux, you have to extract the tar file [tar -zxvf your_file.tar.gz], then look for something to execute (a script? .sh file ?). if you have to compile, that's a bit trickier. You have to do [make; make install] i think. (these are CLI commands. youc an do most of this with the mouse )

anyway, i still suggest using the graphic interface (see my previous post) until you get the hang of it, and gain a bit of confidence. and then start tinkering with recompiling stuff. Anyway, google is your friend, and don't be afraid to read .

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!

sudo nautilus

nautilus is the actual name of the program that opens when you click on Computer and see all of your folders. If you sudo into it you should be able to paste and replace the oldle. If not then you need to use chmod +w from terminal of the folder that you want to put the file into.