Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, Like most of us these days, I assume, I'm using an old HP Vectra VL400 for day to day tasks and serving files. Since it just has an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sharing USB drives

Dear all,

Like most of us these days, I assume, I'm using an old HP Vectra VL400 for day to day tasks and serving files.

Since it just has an IDE interface, I decided to add a 500 GiB external USB drive instead of dealing with an internal SATA card.

Everything is o.k. with it. I can use the new disk as the bigger repository for files and programs it should be with the only exception of sharing the files over the local network.

I can share files between the Vectra and the other PCs in the LAN, as long as they're in the internal drive/s.

Has anybody find the same problem? Is there any way around it?

Thank you so much for being there!

Kind regards,
    Antonio

Just Joined!
    [SOLVED]
    I'm quite sorry for not having typed here for such a long time.
    I eventually managed to solve my issue and would like you to know how: My XUbuntu box insisted on not allowing me to share the new drive unless I managed to make it act as if it was an internal one.
    So, I went to /etc/fstab and added (at the end of the file):

Code:
    LABEL=NEWDRIVE /mnt/archives auto rw,users,auto 0 0
    Of course, I had previously labelled the drive as NEWDRIVE and created and shared /mnt/archives, so that the directory branch would immediately be available for use, both in the system and over the network.

On the one hand, this approach suppressed the flexibility offered by the automounting system included in XUbuntu.
    On the other one, it allowed me to get where I wanted to go, and I think it deserves the pain.

This is not perfect, but valid enough.
    Kind regards,