Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i'm french so my english is not very good.. I will try my very best! To make a short story, I have a sony vaio vgn-ns190d 64-bits. My EX ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile "Error: no such partition. Grub rescue>" Help! My ex bf is a pain

Hi, i'm french so my english is not very good.. I will try my very best!

To make a short story, I have a sony vaio vgn-ns190d 64-bits. My EX boyfriend, install linux ubuntu. Not for me but for him. I'm like really near of a newbie and dont know a lot about pc. Then I tried to erase ubuntu because it's make me think of him. So I tried to re-install windows. (when i log on it was asking me to choose between ubuntu or windows). Then after it was complete a black screen was there saying: "Error: no such partition. Grub rescue>". i'm so sad I think i will cry. My summer session just started, I just have an ipad my bestfriend pass me and no money to buy a new laptop or pay for repair cause of this *%# who leave me with all the rent to pay! Please, please help me. I need to give the ipad to my friend tomorow but i will go on internet but it need to be enough simple to be transcribe on a small sheet of paper. Please save my life!

Mary
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 05-01-2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: removed unnesccesary private details

Hello and Welcome to the forums. I edited your post above to remove some of the personal stuff but we will try to help you with the rest.
    If you do have the Windows install CD, we can remove Linux and you probably won't need to spend any money.
    Is that what you want to do? Remove Linux or just remove the boot screen?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Which Version of Windows do you have?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Do I understand you right, you have already tried to reinstall windows?
    Was there a option on the laptop itself, or did you use a CD?

If yes it seems that the boot record wasn't written by the windows installation.