Find the answer to your Linux question:
G'Day guys; Well I tried to boot into Ubuntu this morning but no good, got to a blackscreen which said : GNU GRUB Version 1.98 + 20100804- 5Ubuntu2 Minimal BASH-Like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't boot into Ubuntu

G'Day guys; Well I tried to boot into Ubuntu this morning but no good, got to a blackscreen which said :
    GNU GRUB Version 1.98 + 20100804- 5Ubuntu2

Minimal BASH-Like line editing is supported.For the first word TAB list possible command completions.Anywhere else TAB list possible device or file completions.

Can't get into the Grub boot screne nothing just this screen, has anyone got any ideas please, I realy don't want to have to reload again !!!!
    Kind regards Miykel

Linux Guru
    I read your other post which indicates you have windows 7 also. Were you using the windows bootloader to boot both windows and Ubuntu? I've never used wubi so I don't know how that works. Your fdisk output in your other post shows only windows partitions. Which bootloader you were using or want to use will make a big difference in the suggested options you will receive. Reinstalling Grub is pretty easy if you have an Ubuntu CD but I don't know how that would work with a wubi install?

G'Day Yancek; This is a completely different problem to the last post, yesterday I had Ubuntu running lovely, boot up no dramas, this morning I could only get to the screne discribed above.
    The primary boot loader is Windows then you come to Grub with the options of the lastest upgrade and the recovery option.
    I tried another method for installing nVidia drivers yesterday, which didn't work, so weather this has something to do with it I don't know I would just like to know what the screne is and if it can e worked around.
    Kind Regards Miykel

Miykel,
    The video drivers used by the boot loading system
    are part of a diminuitive bootloader OS (which I think is in the grbldr image),
    which is only intended to operate the boot loader, scan and pop up the menu.
    That is the first stage.

When the grub menu calls for your real Ubuntu OS,
    then your OS Ubuntu video drivers are called up.
    That is the second stage.

Have you tried the recovery option ?
    I have used it to restore mis-loaded libraries.

Aside from that (Recovery), I can only suggest
    that it is time to re-install Ubuntu, in order to obtain the original video drivers.

glene77is

If you have a grub problem with a dual-boot with Windows, then you might find some help here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

G'Day guys and I appreciate the time you've taken to try to help; however the question was, what is the screen I come to, if I could get past it I could get to the recovery mode and repair the problem.
    Regards Miykel

It sounds like you have the grub prompt.
    Grub has its own command line system for working it when things don't go to plan.
    Try looking here: Grub prompt after upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 – aaron-kelley.net
    or here: [SOLVED] grub prompt - Ubuntu Forums
    Hope this helps.