Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I've been running Ubuntu on my i3 rig since December and it worked fine for months. I do have experience with it on other systems as well down to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu won't update

Hello. I've been running Ubuntu on my i3 rig since December and it worked fine for months. I do have experience with it on other systems as well down to 9.04. Point is, I've been using it with most of the time no problems. I am currently running 11.04 beta 1. Yes I know the whole drill... Alt + F2 and "update-manager -d". Each time however, it says there's no update. How can I do an in-place upgrade without having to install it fresh? I've run betas and even alphas before with no upgrade problems. I did think of the upgrade disk for computers without a connection but I'm not sure that would work with already being on 11.04. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You probably need to change the repository settings as I suspect that your aptitude/synaptic package managers are pointing to the beta repositories, which since 11.04 is now officially released, won't be updated any longer.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Hello. Sorry it took so long to respond. Week is very busy. But, I have tried the method you said with no success. I forget which beta I was on but do you think that instead of doing an upgrade it just did a regular update to fix things? I still am getting updates for the system. I got 79 (128 MB) downloads just today.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I had a similar problem to you, took me a while to realise it but the answer is very easy.

The beta actually becomes the full release. Just make sure you've downloaded all latest possible upgrades and you will have the full thing without even noticing it

What does cat /etc/lsb-release command display? Does it list Ubuntu as Beta version?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First