Find the answer to your Linux question:
G'day I have a couple of questions re Ubuntu 11.04, Firstly; how can I find out which system this is, I used Wubi to load it and I think it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thumbs up 11.04 Questions

G'day I have a couple of questions re Ubuntu 11.04,
    Firstly; how can I find out which system this is, I used Wubi to load it and I think it's 64bit, which is great but I'd like to be sure.
    Does 32bit and 64 bit both recognize 8Gb ram
    Is there a site where I can send the developers a thank you and a congratulations for doing such a brilliant job of this OS, it's running perfectly.
    Kind regards MIykel

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. You can find out the processor type with the command 'uname -p'. That should return x86_64 if 64-bit AMD or Intel. If 32-bit, then it will probably be i686.
    2. 32-bit distributions that have the PAE (Physical Address Extension) switched on (you will need to make sure it is enabled in the system BIOS) will be able to access more than 4GB of RAM, although no single process will be able to have more than that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

G'Day Rubberman; Thanks for that, it turns out that this is 64bit, which is great as I need the big memory for editing photos, I assume it's the same as W7, when I used 32bit I had to keep saving then continue because I run out of memory but when I went to 64 bit I had no memory problems.
    BTW, I think I posted a question on this forum about the lack of backup/restore bookmarks in FF, well I tripped over the solution, when you go to "show all bookmarks" you have to expand the window to full screen then there it is at the top. damn , all to easy, blast, just put it down to a seniors moment lol.
    Kind Regards Miykel