Find the answer to your Linux question:
G'Day Guys; For some time, because of the Arthritus in my hands, I've been looking for a program which will allow me to scan a document into my PC, fill ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Looking for software

G'Day Guys; For some time, because of the Arthritus in my hands, I've been looking for a program which will allow me to scan a document into my PC, fill it in with my keyboard and then print it out, does anyone know of such a program ???.
    Kind Regards Miykel

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't do any scanning under Linux so can't recommend any specific apps, but you can take a look at the various apps listed here to see if they might fulfill your needs:

Scanners | Linux App Finder
    oz

G'Day Ozar, thanks for the reply;
    I didn't know Linux App Finder existed, will have to have a good look around that site, kid in a candy store syndrome lol.
    It's not the scanning software I am in need of it's the "form fill', type of program I need.
    Kind Regards Miykel

The process has two steps: scanning and OCR (optical character recognition). The Google open-source tesseract looks like a viable choice for the OCR part, the trickiest.
    tesseract-ocr - An OCR Engine that was developed at HP Labs between 1985 and 1995... and now at Google. - Google Project Hosting
    If your distribution is Ubuntu-like (deb) then there's a ready-made package. Documents have to be scanned to TIFF format for the OCR to work. Then the document is run through the OCR program and can be edited with a word processor.

Linux Newbie
    I did try many OCR solutions, but none of them appear to work properly.

RE: The Scanner & OCR

Hi,
    A question - does this 'fit it with the keyboard' mean OCR (Optical Character Recognition).

For scanning documents I use sane. Navigate to: Add/Remove Software and in the search box write sane and you will see the available packages.

If you do not have sane in the repository list write in the search box: scanner
    HPLIP has good packages for HP and HP compatible scanners.

As for the OCR - I have installed gocr (GNU optical character recognition program), but never used it and unfortunately I can't help you with this. Maybe somebody who is better acquainted with the material.

Regards

G'Day guys, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, when I think about it, it would be a touch difficult to do what I want, it's ok if the program is relevent to the form, ie disc labels, but to recognise every form would be quite a program, in windows I've got away with paint, but it's a bit of a test, typing the text then moving it to line up with the field window on the form, but it does work, sort of.
    Kind regards Miykel