Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got a new box, installed a HD, put in the CD I made of Ubuntu 8.04 from the EMC2 website. The box is a Samba 845GV with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

nub installing problem

I just got a new box, installed a HD, put in the CD I made of Ubuntu 8.04 from the EMC2 website.
    The box is a Samba 845GV with a P4 2.4Ghz processor & 256MB of RAM
    It seemed to be installing correctly, but it's hung at a screen that shows a stylized Heron, it's been like this for 45 minutes.
    Where do I start to fix this?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'm not sure 256MB is enough RAM to install Hardy Heron (8.04) with GUI, without hitting the swap file. This would explain the delay, assuming the swapper is running in order to provide adequate virtual memory to run the system. Any chance of increasing the RAM to 512MB or more?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I think I have some DDR2 Ram at home. should I let the install keep running, then add the memory tomorrow when I have it in hand? I'm not in any hurry.
    Or should I abort the install now & try again tomorrow with more memory?
    If I need to abort, what is the procedure.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Either or both. You can let it run and if when you get the new RAM it is done, then fine, otherwise, shut it down, install the additional RAM, and restart the installation from scratch.

Just Joined!
    Do I use ctrl-alt-del to shut it down?
    I'm asking because I remember reading somewhere that I should never shut linux down using the power button, is this true?
    Last edited by hradford5; 05-11-2011 at 05:51 PM.

If you are going to reinstall the OS, then using the power button is not a problem. You would need to hold it down until the system shuts off. You can also see if just pressing it once will initiate a regular shutdown. The power button interrupt usually will signal the kernel to do a normal shutdown, but not always...

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help, I'm reinstalling with 1GB of RAM now