Find the answer to your Linux question:
my old laptop died...thanks to spilled lemonade. Hard drive was ok, so I bought a rocketfish external shell. Linux recognizes the external drive but I can't open it. The old ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to recover files from old hard drive

my old laptop died...thanks to spilled lemonade. Hard drive was ok, so I bought a rocketfish external shell. Linux recognizes the external drive but I can't open it. The old hard drive had a linux/windows xp partition and this messages shows up when I try to open the only files I can see in the file:

Archive: /media/SYSTEM RESERVED/Boot/zh-TW/bootmgr.exe.mui
    [/media/SYSTEM RESERVED/Boot/zh-TW/bootmgr.exe.mui]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    note: /media/SYSTEM RESERVED/Boot/zh-TW/bootmgr.exe.mui may be a plain executable, not an archive
    zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /media/SYSTEM RESERVED/Boot/zh-TW/bootmgr.exe.mui or
    /media/SYSTEM RESERVED/Boot/zh-TW/bootmgr.exe.mui.zip, and cannot find /media/SYSTEM RESERVED/Boot/zh-TW/bootmgr.exe.mui.ZIP, period.

Any idea how to open? I'd like to just use it like a big flash drive.

bootmgr.exe.mui as far as I know is the resource dll for the boot loader in Windows. It's not something linux can open, nor would you gain anything if you could.

If you're trying to recover your personal files, your best hope is probably testdisk.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Post the output of the command "sudo fdisk -l" here (that's the letter 'el', not the number 1).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close