Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Browsing Vista shares from NN;Cant see some files n folders

When browsing my Vista shares from my laptop running 11.04, some of my files and folders don't show in the Nautilus file browser window. For example, I have a shared folder with 50 directories within it. Directories 1 through 4 and 11 through 39 show when I browse to the folder. The remaining directories aren't visible, but I can browse to them by typing the full path. Once in these directories I have the same issue that all files inside don't display but are there.

If I browse the the directory from the command line, still the same result. There isn't a Nautilus setting that affects this behavior.

Any thoughts?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Do these files start with a dot?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    No. These files are not hidden. The files and folders exist on my Vista desktop. Either way not the problem. Thanks though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'm still having this problem. Renewing this thread, hopefully someone has some new insights, or has run into this problem themselves.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by rrl View Post
    I'm still having this problem. Renewing this thread, hopefully someone has some new insights, or has run into this problem themselves.
    It is possible that they are encrypted, in which case the Linux ntfs drivers may not be able to access them.

Also, if they are compressed folders, you may just see them as *.zip files.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    No encryption or compression, but it's interesting you mentioned it. I have two physical drives in this box and it occurs seemingly with random folders on both drives. On my main drive, nothing was ever encrypted, but on the secondary drive, I did start to encrypt the share, but stopped it soon after because it would have taken too long to complete, and I didn't have the time to wait at that moment. I don't remember noticing the problem prior to trying to encrypt that one share, but like I said, the problem also occurs on my primary boot drive where nothing was ever encrypted.

Example: Trying to access my Torrents or Media folder on my primary drive. The path is:

\\computername\share\torrents

No problem navigating to the share. Once in the share, the torrent folder and the media folder aren't displayed, however I can reach them by typing in the path, and I do have r,w and x permissions. I can move files to and from that directory. I can create new files there.

I've run Wireshark and the folders that are not showing up aren't being sent when the network request is made, but I don't know what to do with that information as it relates to fixing this problem.
    I have removed and re-created the share with correct permissions and still have the issue.

I have filed a bug report in launchpad to no avail. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/796796

The link will provide a little more detail of the problem I was having with the share on the secondary drive.
    Last edited by rrl; 09-20-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: adding info

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Solved

This issue seems to be resolved as of the last update to 11.04 12/18/11. If I find exactly what fixed it, I will post back with the details.