Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok this may be an easily answered question, but I have no idea how to google it , since there is so much information on BIOS that appears and none ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Kentucky or the South Pole with the Penguins

Cool [SOLVED] BIOS help. I Only have two options.

Ok this may be an easily answered question, but I have no idea how to google it , since there is so much information on BIOS that appears and none of it pertains to me.

I installed ubuntu 11.04 on two separate hard drives. My grub menu is on my 2nd HD which also has ubuntu. My default BIOS is to boot my 1st HD. Every time I boot up my PC, I have to hot-key my BIOS to be able to choose which HD to load, because if I dont obviously my other HD takes over.

So with that being said, when I attempt to access my BIOS (used to work fine with one HD) it gives me its own version of grub (or whatever it would be) to choose between my disc tray, 1st HD, or 2nd HD. My other option is to press esc to begin default startup (which is HD 1). So now my question is, how do I access BIOS from this menu?? There is no other option to bypass this menu to change my boot sequence. My grub is on my 2nd HD which I would like to make my default startup, so from there I can choose either one to boot. Its not really a huge problem, but I hate having to press a button to get to BIOS boot screen every single time I restart or turn my computer on. Its getting very old. And if I dont press it then it goes straight to 1st HD...obviously...

Please help. Ive googled the hell out of this and dont really know what to type for a search. I definately use google , but it has failed me this time!! haha.

Cool

Thanks Pcgreen for such a quick reply, but this does not help me . I know how to access my BIOS menu from the start, but like I said, its only giving me two options to choose. Esc to boot using default, or scroll to HD and press Enter to choose that one to boot. It used to go to my BIOS before installing my 2nd HD, but now its going straight to choose either/or.

I want to bypass this, and get further in BIOS to set-up my 'default boot settings' to my 2nd HD....

I hope you understand what Im trying to say. Like I said, I do know how to get to my BIOS, its just not the same BIOS that it was before, or atleast its not going straight there, only telling me to choose what to boot (with zero options on bypassing to setup).

Linux Guru
    Rcgreen has already linked you that information. You provide little specific details, so we can only assume the "boot" menu you are referring to is Grub. The Grub menu comes *after* POST has completed. Grub has nothing to do with the motherboard's BIOS. Grub is stored in the boot sector of an HDD and is only read once the BIOS has finished POST.

You need to use the correct keys to get into BIOS before POST completes and Grub is loaded.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Also some computers will give the option of changing the boot order which is usually a one time effect or going in to the bios where you can make the changes permenantly
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

rrl
    Just Joined!
    At this point I would have to agree with rcgreen and HRO. It sounds like your describing hot keying into the bios boot menu, and not bios configuration. During post on my machine, I have an option to enter setup (BIOS config), enter boot menu (not grub, or windows), or automated recovery, and then of course F8 for advanced boot options. If you are looking at grub you've gone too far.

Thanks for everyones help so far, but I still can't get to my BIOS advanced settings as the last reply stated calling it..

Ill break it down a little more specific then. Ok, I know the difference between my grub boot screen and this "other" boot screen. Before I had my 2nd HDD setup or even plugged into my motherboard, I could press F8 to get to my BIOS menu. From there I could select my boot sequence. 1st-CD drive, 2nd being my main HDD, then 3rd being flash drive...

After installing linux on my separate Hard drive, my F8 key brought up a different menu than before. My GRUB menu is on my second HDD and this "other" boot menu is only given to me after I select F8.

Here is what happens from the second I turn on my computer.... Post begins, I quickly begin pressing F8. My blue screen boot menu appears (which used to bring up my BIOS menus). I press my down cursor to choose from either my CD drive, my main HDD, my linux HDD, and then other options differ according to what flash drives I have plugged in or my external HDD. If I choose my main HDD, windows 7 is booted. If I choose my second HDD, then my GRUB menu appears allowing me to choose between ubuntu, ubuntu recovery, windows 7, etc.... If I do not press F8 during POST, then my windows 7 boots by default, not allowing me to choose anything, Like I don't have anything else even setup. Therefore, I have 1 screen I have to choose between to even make it to my GRUB menu. Then choose again.

I hope this makes more sense now, and if for some reason that link tells me how to get past this I apologize for not seeing it. Before, the F8 would allow me to choose what to boot in sequence, but now since this second HDD has been installed, this "mystery" boot screen appears. At least it is a mystery to me. Should I try pressing randoms keys over and over until I get another screen?? Or am I pressing the right key?? Since it used to work, I don't see why it would have changed or even made some default boot menu. With this screen GRUB is basically useless since I have to choose which one to boot 2 times. Unnecessary I believe. The more annoying thing about it is I have to select F8 to even bring up a menu to choose, then choose again once GRUB loads. Like I said before, I just want to setup my second HDD to load by default, only making me choose a boot once, from the GRUB menu.

I hope this is more specific than my last posts, and if there are anymore questions regarding this, feel free to ask, as I need to get this sorted out. If this is still not understood I can manually take a picture of it via camera and upload it if no one understands what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I see where someone mentioned there are different menus to access from POST, so I will try to press different keys and see if I can bring up something different than that boot menu, but why would it change what F8 originally done for me rather than that boot menu being a different key?!? Thanks for all the help so far it's very appreciated.
    And feel free to add any comments that may help me also, and Ill let you know if I can bring up something different by then....Thanks

Ok..... I figured it out. I should have been pressing either DEL or INSERT (Idk because I was pressing both) which brought up BIOS. I don't know how my F8 was working to begin with, which changed after 2nd HDD... But anyway, problem solved!!

Thanks again,

SunshineFolk

Linux Guru
    The F8 key on most (or at least many) computers is the key used to make a one-time selection as indicated above. The selection is not saved and in your case, you use the Del key to access BIOS to make a permanent change.