Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Ubuntu 11. 04 on my 160gb HD, which is making funny noises and could be on its way out. I have in my PC a 500gb HD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Partitioning

I am running Ubuntu 11. 04 on my 160gb HD, which is making funny noises and could be on its way out.

I have in my PC a 500gb HD on which I would like to install 11.04, but, althogh the dis has installed OK on my laptop, and on my 160HD on my desktop, it will not install on my 500gbHD, everytime I try I get the message "no root file system is defined, please correct this from the partitioning menu"

Snapshot of my drive............................

Screenshot.jpg

How do I partition it please.

Hello and Welcome.
    The image is way too small for me to view. But I got tips for you! When you do partition your drive you must make a /swap and a / partition, the / partition is for root. Apparently you forgot to create a new root partition. I would also suggest that you create a separate /home partition if you plan on keeping lots of files in your /home directory.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I have sorted it, albeit I don't know exactly what I have done, but whatever it was it has worked.