Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm relatively new to linux, but i've learned some stuff and still have some goals. I'm seeking some advice on the best way to proceed. Thanks for your ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

U9.10 homeserver for fileshare - Samba? FTP? help...

Hi all,
    I'm relatively new to linux, but i've learned some stuff and still have some goals. I'm seeking some advice on the best way to proceed. Thanks for your patience. if this question is well answered elsewhere, a link to that would be sufficient.

my goal:
    use a linux box as a password-protected (read/write) fileshare server on a home network, for compatability with windows 7 machines. Files/drives to be shared are on external hard drives for volume reasons.

What I have accomplished so far:
    ubuntu 9.10 up and running on old desktop
    using php5, phpmyadmin, mysql - got http home page set up that is accessible over home network
    remote desktop is enabled, works successfully
    external hard drives mount automatically in ubuntu, data is accessible/usable
    SAMBA is downloaded...

Is Samba the best way to proceed? I've tried to read up on the samba's docs, but I still don't exactly understand What it is or How it works, and also whether it will work with Windows 7 Home pcs. do i have to dl software for the windoze pcs, and mess with the registry? is it worth it?
    Ideally I want other home network users to be able to access the fileshare server without having to mess around on each individual computer....

Are there other options? Is there some way I could mount my external HDs in the folder that my /var/www folder that the server automatically references, and make some kind of http-based directory navigation for file transfer?
    Would password protecting the home/index page be sufficient to ensure some amount of security?

is some kind of FTP a better option? whats a good program or link to check out for ftp?

thanks for your help,
    hyongx

rrl
    Just Joined!
    Welcome to the forums Hyong,

Im pretty new to Linux myself. Samba is the protocol used for Windows to access, or mount Linux drives. Linux supports networking with Windows natively not vice versa.

So download smbclient for your Linux box. You can find the launcher once installed in System Administration>Samba. Should be setup up basically how you need. Make sure your WORKGROUP names match, user level authentication is selected, and make sure the user you want from windows and the matching Linux account has access to the shares. There is a tab for that, just check the box next to the user, if the user isn't there, create it.

You should be good from there. Samba is the way to go.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help!
    Samba is up and running, and I can browse shared folders from any windows computer on the network.

One dumb question -
    How do I know what the username of my windows computer is?

I know how to modify the read only = no, write list = blah blah , and to chown the appropriate folder in the linux file ownership.

However, how do I know what my windows computer's user name is? Is it hte name of the computer? Do I have to adduser of the same name to the linux box, or what?

thanks for the help.

rrl
    Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=hyongx;844307]Thanks for the help!
    Samba is up and running, and I can browse shared folders from any windows computer on the network.

One dumb question -
    How do I know what the username of my windows computer is?

I know how to modify the read only = no, write list = blah blah , and to chown the appropriate folder in the linux file ownership.

However, how do I know what my windows computer's user name is? Is it hte name of the computer? Do I have to adduser of the same name to the linux box, or what?

thanks for the help.[/QUOTE

On your Windows machines, right clicking the My Computer link and selecting properties will open a dialog box showing your System information. Among the information you see there will be the computer name, and the networking workgroup or domain the computer is apart of. You need a user account on each machine you want to network, and the passwords must match. If you don't setup the user accounts on each machine, you might have read and execute permissions for default shares, like Shared Documents folder in Windows, but you won't be able to write to the folder, or change anything.

rrl
    Just Joined!
    I reread your post and I am a little confused. If you don't have to log into the Windows machine then you do have to set up a password on at least one account. Im pretty sure you have to set up at least one Windows user account when its installed. Control Panel > Users

Just Joined!
    I am the only user, and admin, on my windows pc, and i don't have it protected with a password. but i guess i'm less worried about somebody physically snagging my computer than network security.

i never got smbclient. is that a GUI for all the user/profile management stuff?
    i am kinda diggin the terminal commands.
    in ubuntu , i did :

adduser blah
    smbpasswd -a blah

and it created a linux user and a samba user with a username that matched my windows user name. Except for the capitalization.
    but it worked, anyway. i'm still trying to figure out how to optimize the security for several different users. but mucho progresso. that'll just be more playing around with chown and stuff.

i got my external HD to auto-mount on boot in the samba shared folder (success!) using pysdm

however, i also have an internal partition that i want to auto-mount into the shared folder, but i haven't gotten that to work yet. not sure on what the problem is.

anyway. blah blah. it's just a cool project.
    thanks for your help rrl