Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I used Ubuntu Tweak on ubuntu 10.10 and i don't remember what stupid thing i did. Now, my ubuntu never logs on, neither in recovery mode. I have attached ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Trouble logging in!

Hi,

I used Ubuntu Tweak on ubuntu 10.10 and i don't remember what stupid thing i did.

Now, my ubuntu never logs on, neither in recovery mode.

I have attached the Camera Screenshot of the error screen.

And i am a beginner, and it feels bad when my ubuntu doesn't work.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ouch, that doesn't look good!

I would suggest that you may want to to boot using a Live Disc of 10.10 or whichever one you have, plug in a USB drive, and copy all of your Home folder to the USB drive.
    Then you might have to do a reinstall of the OS.
    Sadly, not knowing what you killed using Tweak, it's going to be very difficult to unkill it, even though it was probably something relatively simple.

Just Joined!
    Hi, I am not allowed to post HTML URLs so I appologize in advance for the below link which is intentionally sloppy to pass the filter:

Code:
    www DOT psychocats DOT net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Just Joined!

Can I get everything back?

Its not a problem for me to reinstall it, but the only thing is "Can I get everything back except that 'nonsense' of mine by copying the HOME folder?"

Quote Originally Posted by reginaldperrin View Post
    Ouch, that doesn't look good!

I would suggest that you may want to to boot using a Live Disc of 10.10 or whichever one you have, plug in a USB drive, and copy all of your Home folder to the USB drive.
    Then you might have to do a reinstall of the OS.
    Sadly, not knowing what you killed using Tweak, it's going to be very difficult to unkill it, even though it was probably something relatively simple.

Just Joined!

Doesn't even finishes with the Recovery Mode boot

I would have loved to follow your shown path, but my machine doesnt even boots in Recovery mode...
    don't know what just happened to my love...:'(

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMicek View Post
    Hi, I am not allowed to post HTML URLs so I appologize in advance for the below link which is intentionally sloppy to pass the filter:

Code:
    www DOT psychocats DOT net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Just Joined!
    I'm sorry, I misunderstood your problem. I incorrectly assumed your machine booted but you could not login. Can you please post details of what does not work correctly? To do this, you'll probably need to bypass the graphic login display. To do this in RedHat or Fedora based distributions, you press the escape button as the machine attempts to boot.

Linux Newbie
    Dude the basic components of your Ubuntu Desktop is not working, your second best shot is to chroot into the Ubuntu install from a live CD and make aptitude reinstall all packages -

aptitude reinstall '~i'

But I guess that'll be too difficult for you, as a result the best thing that you can do is reinstall, backup your home directory to restore settings in your newly installed Ubuntu.

You learnt a valuable lesson -- DO NOT run bogus software especially with root privileges. Unix is NOT Windows thus you can't -

1) clean up the registry
    2) Defragment hard drive

Thus all 'optimization' programs are loada crap. If you wanna optimization, you gotta do it by hand.

Also you're using a 'firewall' on a Desktop computer... which's again a Windows tip. To simulate a Windows firewall, simply -

echo "ALL: ALL" > /etc/hosts.deny
    Last edited by dE_logics; 05-17-2011 at 04:44 AM.