Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a dell inspiron 9300. I have Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I don't have the root password. Something I'd like to do would be to have two separate ubuntu's on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Create hard drive partition-for computer dummie

I have a dell inspiron 9300. I have Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I don't have the root password. Something I'd like to do would be to have two separate ubuntu's on my computer. I'd like to keep this one just as it is but also have another ubuntu-same version- that I can boot up into, and have it default booting up into the old one. How exactly do I do this? I know very little about computers. I barely mastered registration for this site, and copy/paste is a rather new skill for me. Help?

Oh, and if this has been asked before, I apologize. I couldn't find it.

Banned
    Insert a live CD into the CD Rom and boot up to a live Session. Double Click install. Answer the questions in the Install window and keep hitting forward until you get to the Option, "Install Ubuntu alongside another Ubuntu". Make sure that this option is Checked. Click foward again and set the size of the partitions. Finally click "Install Now"
    Last edited by oz; 05-18-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: SPAM removal

tpl
    Linux User
    welcome to the forum

get "gparted" bootable CD: let's you shrink your current partition, leaving enough
    room for another installation. Easy to use.
    the sun is new every day (heraclitus)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close