Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Basically I agree use DVDFAB 8.x on Windows and rip a dvd to a blank one the program does all the work, you just buy the dvdfab and the Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Basically I agree use DVDFAB 8.x on Windows and rip a dvd to a blank one the program does all the work, you just buy the dvdfab and the Windows lol.

That is the easy solution it is because the dvds are copy right protected so that is why they sell dvd players....check you apps on Ubuntu they also sell a player.

I have NO idea how Windows has the right to play dvds but Linux does not. I feel that is unfair.

Linux Guru
    Past versions of Ubuntu included libdvdcss in the ubuntu-restricted-* packages. This doesn't appear to be the case any more - found by quick Googling.

The required library can be installed from the Medibuntu repo.

1) How to add Medibuntu repository.

Code:
    sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && 
    sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
    2) How to install libdvdcss:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

Just Joined!
    It started to work after I played a DVD on my Windows 7 partition. Someone else suggested that this might have been because Windows set a region for my drive and the DVD weren't playing because it was regionless before.

I'm still getting the "error: cdrom read error" on boot (after BIOS but before GRUB), which I'd like to fix. Any ideas on that?

Quote Originally Posted by root45 View Post
    It started to work after I played a DVD on my Windows 7 partition. Someone else suggested that this might have been because Windows set a region for my drive and the DVD weren't playing because it was regionless before.

I'm still getting the "error: cdrom read error" on boot (after BIOS but before GRUB), which I'd like to fix. Any ideas on that?
    Only thing I can think of is to check the BIOS. See if you can get it to autodetect the DVD first. On the other hand, if it's working, don't worry about it. Once grub takes off, the BIOS is no longer needed or used anyway.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2