Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I am trying to get the java plugin extension for firefox so that I can run some java applications. I've modified the repositories, run sudo-apt-update, and run apt-get install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question Can't get java plugin working on Ubuntu 11.04

Hello. I am trying to get the java plugin extension for firefox so that I can run some java applications. I've modified the repositories, run sudo-apt-update, and run apt-get install java6-plugin (among other things). I thought this was successful because when I go to synaptic package manager the sun-java6 things are marked as installed. But when I open up firefox and look at my extensions, there is no java6 plugin! I don't understand what I may have done wrong. I really want to give ubuntu a try but this is frustrating.

Linux Newbie

Unhappy

Well i made a bit of progress.

someone on linuxquestions advised me to locate the file "libnpjp2.so" which I did. Then I copied it to my /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory.

This added the sun java plugin to my list of extensions for firefox. Also still present there is icedtea.

But I still can't get the application to run. I've tried it with icedtea enabled alongside sun java and I've also tried it with icedtea disabled. When I try it with icedtea disabled and sun java enabled, firefox immediately crashes.

SO, BOTTOM LINE IS I NOW HAVE SUN JAVA 1.6 PLUGIN INSTALLED ALONGSIDE ICEDTEA BUT WHEN I TRY RUNNING MY JAVA APPLICATION, FIREFOX CRASHES.

someone on linuxquestions advised me to locate the file "libnpjp2.so" which I did. Then I copied it to my /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory.
    I am not in my Ubuntu Box right now. But I am posting from my AntiX 11 install on my Netbook.

Code:
    harry@Biker:/mnt/sdb1/home/harry$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_25"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_25-b06)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode, sharing)
    harry@Biker:/mnt/sdb1/home/harry$ which java
    /usr/bin/java
    I just installed java before this post so it is a clean install. I looked in my file manager which is Thunar in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and my install shows libnpjp2.so as a symlink instead of b eing just copied over. Probably why your firefox is crashing.

screenshotjava.jpg

I don't run Ubuntu 11 so no clue on what file manager or Desktop you are using (so many choices). You will have to google search on how to make a symlink in Ubuntu 11 I guess.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

If I was running Ubuntu11. I would go into my package manager and search for Rox File manager. Install it (it is a light file manager) . Then

Code:
    sudo rox
    password then hit enter. rox opens as root

Code:
    sudo rox
    again to open another rox window as root. Then maneuver to where the original plugin for java was in one rox window.

Maneuver to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder. Right click on your copied javaplugin. Delete>quiet.
    Then go to the other rox window. Drag the "libnpjp2.so" to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder. A box will open up. Pick absolute or relative for symlink. Relative should be ok. Relative is for when the linked to folder has been moved. Absolute is for when the linked to folder will never be relocated.

I am just mentioning this because I am used to using rox file manager and for creating symlinks is a breeze in rox. I moved and copied /home in my eeepc with rox to a seperate ssd drive and then symlinked it back to root drive and edited my /etc/fstab so I would have /home on my 16gig secondary ssd while freeing up space on my / 4gig ssd. Took no time at all but I am comfortable with stuff like this. I run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with Gnome and Nautilus. I installed rox file manager also in my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS install. Just useful to have around.

Edit. You will probably have to delete also any other copies of libnpjp2.so that you have put in any other folders also when you made your previous changes for thiis to work.

Java Tester - Home Page

The version and vendor from the JRE

Java Version 1.6.0_25 from Sun Microsytems Inc

If Java is working, you will see a pink rectangle above with one line of text that says something like:

Java Version 1.6.0_16 from Sun Microsystems Inc. or
    Java Version: 1.3.1 from Apple Computer, Inc. or
    Java Version: 1.1.4 from Microsoft Corp.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    This did the trick for me

Run in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so && sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so