Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'am often asked to help with sports event, like football or volleyball tournaments, and running competitions. When I used Windows, The Sports Organiser (can't post URLs yet) was perfect. But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Organize sports events from Ubuntu

I'am often asked to help with sports event, like football or volleyball tournaments, and running competitions. When I used Windows, The Sports Organiser (can't post URLs yet) was perfect. But after I converted to Ubuntu...

So, to be concret: Do somebody know about a program that let you create tournaments, create teams, print schedules and results etc.?

Don't know if this will do the trick for you but it's worth a look;
    Splendid City Team Sports Scheduler, and Sports Scheduling Software System

The Lite version is free. From what I read, if you want to export schedules and such you need to purchase the pro version for something like $40.

The installer for Linux is a .bin file which makes installing easy.
    I tried it and it did a default install to my home folder. There I found a folder named SplendidCity. In that folder is a shell script named Splendid_City. Right click and selsect open in terminal starts the program which looks to be written in Java.

You may also want to take a look at this Google search page for other software similar to what you are looking for.
    Google

Just Joined!
    Thanks for answering, and the program do half of the job, but just the scheduling. As far as I can see, it don't let you manage the rest of the event with results, and that's maybe the most important feature

Maybe the answer is a php-script? Have anybody tried KMLeague?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I'd suggest a simple LAMP server which should be pretty easy to install on Ubuntu. I use that to track results for tennis league match results with search functions which should not be that difficult to create if you have some understanding of php scripts and basic html.

Don't do any scheduling but it seems you have that taken care of.

Just Joined!
    I'll try that. The best thing had, of course, been only one service that did all the job. Do you know if it's possible to manage running (or a race or something with time instead of points) with KMLeague?

Linux Guru
    Do you know if it's possible to manage running (or a race or something with time instead of points) with KMLeague?
    No. Never heard of it so I googled it but didn't find out much. I'm not sure what you mean by managing with time instead of points. You mean inputting results??

Just Joined!
    I'm sorry for being unclear, but yes, I meant inputting times instead of points, eg. if a person use 5 minutes to run 2 km, and another use 5.30, I have to insert this times instead of points.

Linux Guru
    I don't see why there would be a problem in using time instead of points You would need consistency, for example not enter 360 for someone and 5 for another for a 5 minute result.

Just Joined!
    I admit I haven't installed KMLeague yet, but I was afraid the result would be wrong, since it's positive with a low time, when it's positive with a high number of points. An alternative is of course taking one hundred minus the time used, but I think that's a bit cumbersome?

Linux Guru
    Can't help with KMLeague as I've never used it. Maybe someone else who has will post. You won't know until you try.