Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Headphones Not Working

Hi-
    I'm using ubuntu on a PC and when I plug in my headphones, sometimes they are completely ignored and sound continues coming through the speaker and sometimes it is just silent. The speakers on the computer work fine and when I plug in the headphones in windows (my computer is dual booted), they worked fine. However, when I had arch, they did the same thing that they do with ubuntu, so I know that it must be something with linux. I checked alsamixer and the headphone settings are correct, so it can't be that. When I plug in the headphones, there is sound coming out of them for a split second before it completely stops. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've tried some of the solutions I've found here, to no avail.
    Thanks a lot for your help!

If you click on the sound speaker icon in the top taskbar then click on sound preferences there is a tab marked output.
    In that screen is a connector drop box that gives you the option to output sound to your speakers or your headphones.

That sound preference window is also available under System/Preferences.

Try that and see of your headphones work.

headphones not working

i tried that. my headphones were working and quit on me. alsamixer is as it should be, tried modprobe through the teminal it refused to accept the command.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close