Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by dE_logics SSDs are going nowhere, within a few years platter densities will increase exponentially, and so will the leaner read and write speeds will skyrocket SSDs. Speaking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Quote Originally Posted by dE_logics View Post
    SSDs are going nowhere, within a few years platter densities will increase exponentially, and so will the leaner read and write speeds will skyrocket SSDs. Speaking of which SSDs are still lagging way behind in terms of write speed.

SSDs will always have the inherited drawback of lower lifespan.
    You may have a point there, dE_logics. However, if what they say about the "Memristor" is true, I think SSD may be only just beginning to see its potential density.

Quote Originally Posted by zeneknath View Post
    my ubuntu partition is 8gb swap and 75gb / ext3.
    I have 100gb of unallocated space
    & How to merge / ext3 75gb to unallocated space to make it 175gb of ext3 / partition?
    Zene,

Welcome to the forum,
    you will find many excellent technicians passing through these pages.

First, download the gParted Magic Live-CD.
    Check the website about usage techniques.

For my Puppy installs, I use a system partition of 1 GB, and a Data partition of 10 GB.
    For my Ubuntu installs, I use a system partition of 10 GB, and a Data partition of 12 GB.
    These two OS use different layouts.
    (1) Puppy typically requiring less than 256 MegB RAM and less than 512 MegBytes of HD.
    (2) Ubuntu is more of a hog on RAM & Disk, but is a superior (IMHO) desk-top OS.
    (3) I also use external USB drives for the spread-out of development and backup.
    (4) I use gParted-Magic to check disk usage and alter partition sizes if needed.
    gParted (the core of gParted-Magic) will warn and block dangerous selections. Nice!

SWAP HD space is to be used as extended RAM space.
    See documentation on what SWAP really is.
    1 GB may be just fine. It is for 'over-flow' requirements.
    . . . The Ubuntu OS touches SWAP frequently.
    . . . The Puppy OS may not use SWAP at all during a session.
    See documentation on what SWAP really is.
    For example,
    My "sand-box" computer has seven OS installed, with 512 MB RAM,
    booting from Grub4Dos, with a special sda1 "booting" partition (used only for boot stuff).
    The extra SWAP space is sometimes required
    when running several RAM hog apps, or VMs, or developing, all at the same time.
    Both MS-98, & MS-XP use a Swap file on the main C: level for this same purpose,
    swapping application exe/data files in/out of RAM.
    You may not remember when 640 MegB of RAM was wonderful. Now, we think 4 GigBytes !
    See the history of Expanded RAM / Expanded RAM and the development of the SWAP file.
    I can remember begging for another 64 MegaBytes of Ram chips, 1979. My first microcomputer had 4 Kilo Bytes of RAM, and I had to build a 32 Kilo Byte RAM board for my development.

Welcome to the forum,
    you will find many excellent technicians passing through these pages.
    You will even find engineering geeks,
    with college degrees and paid soft-ware engineering jobs, passing along their expertise.
    Their posts are sometimes alarmingly terse!
    Always say thanks, and come back frequently.

I need to gDay now. glene77is

Smile Thanks

Thank you (all) for Sharing your thought's, will certainly get-back to you to Learn more about these things.... thanks again
    Last edited by zeneknath; 05-20-2011 at 03:54 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2