Find the answer to your Linux question:
My Windows machine crashed, and I am at the mercy of my Ubuntu live-CD to solve all of my problems. I am backing up my data as I write this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Virus Scanning a Windows Partition Using the Ubuntu Live CD

My Windows machine crashed, and I am at the mercy of my Ubuntu live-CD to solve all of my problems. I am backing up my data as I write this post. I was wondering two things:

1.) Is there a way to scan my Windows partition for viruses through the Ubuntu live-CD? I don't care much about repairing the partition, I just want to know what happened.

2.) And a few non-linux question: If I back up an infected file to an external hard disk, is it possible to infect another computer by merely connecting the disk to it? Is it possible that multiple, or all of my files have been infected? Is there a way I can open files safely on another (Windows) machine without (or at least minimalizing) fear of crashing it?

Thanks.

Not sure if the live CD comes with a scanner but you could download one to the live system, install it ( this would only be temporary during the live session ), mount the windows partition and then run the scanner.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by mjordan2nd View Post
    My Windows machine crashed, and I am at the mercy of my Ubuntu live-CD to solve all of my problems.
    You might want to check out the Parted Magic LiveCD. Ubuntu makes a great Linux system live disk, but Parted Magic is a better utilities oriented repair disk, at least in my own opinion. Hope you get it all fixed without too much trouble.
    oz

) Is there a way to scan my Windows partition for viruses through the Ubuntu live-CD? I don't care much about repairing the partition, I just want to know what happened.
    Scan a Windows PC for Viruses from a Ubuntu Live CD - How-To Geek

should get you started.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Guru
    If I back up an infected file to an external hard disk, is it possible to infect another computer by merely connecting the disk to it?
    Yes, it is possible. It depends upon what the virus is, what it does.

Is it possible that multiple, or all of my files have been infected?
    Of course. Again, depends upon what the virus is and what it does.

Is there a way I can open files safely on another (Windows) machine without (or at least minimalizing) fear of crashing it?
    You mean files from your corrupted drive? I wouldn't do that. I'd use the Avast method suggested above or Parted Magic before doing anything else.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjordan2nd View Post
    If I back up an infected file to an external hard disk, is it possible to infect another computer by merely connecting the disk to it?

Thanks.
    Only another Windows machine virii are typically windows centric

I have found that when I am using the Live Disc, it is possible to "install" programs.
    These sit only in RAM, like the rest of the OS.
    You would have to ensure that you are connected to the internet, go to the Software Center on your Live Disc Ubuntu OS, find an anti virus like ClamAV, install it, get the latest signatures, then do a scan of the Windows partition.

In fact I have done exactly this in times past, and discovered a number of Windows nasties that we were able to delete from the affected partition, at least enough to get it running again for our purposes.

If you find viruses, then be aware that the only sure way of eliminating them is to reinstall the whole OS from a known good source.

Hope this helps

Use the Ubuntu Live Cd to get online and go to this website for
    the Kaspersky Rescue Cd.

Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 Download

Download the ISO file to the hard drive.
    Now while in the Ubuntu Live Cd click on the programs list and fire up Brasero Disk burner.
    Select burn image file.
    It will prompt you to insert a blank Cd. Eject the Live Cd and insert a blank Cd.
    Remember that Ubuntu is running in Ram and at this time Brasero is loaded in Ram and doesn't need the Ubuntu Cd right now.
    Burn the Cd.

After it's finished, eject the Cd and shut down the pc.
    Restart the pc with the Kaspersky Rescue Cd inserted.
    It's Linux based and if connected to the internet you will be able to update the virus definitions.
    Run the scan. Typical times are between 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours depending on the size of the hard drive.
    When it's finished go to the Quarantine tab and select all the files to be deleted.
    Your system should be clean after the reboot.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The live CD/DVD doesn't have AV on it, but once booted, you can download and install ClamAV and scan your windows file systems with that. I've done that before with success.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    If you know, or suspect, it's infected then delete it. If it's part of a program you use then reinstall it afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by mjordan2nd
    Is there a way I can open files safely on another (Windows) machine without (or at least minimalizing) fear of crashing it?
    You can install that drive in another windows computer and do a Virus/Malware scan without viewing the files. I would leave that to someone familiar with such matters. The reason being is that Windows likes to "Preview" files as you browse them. In so doing it can infect the other computer. That is why it is best to leave it to someone who knows the pitfalls to do the scan for you.

I disable Previews and AutoRun on all computers.