Find the answer to your Linux question:
Recently I had to a complete system install of ubunty 11.04 and win7. I installed unbutu first, then win7. Well when it was all said and done, I figured when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant find my installation

Recently I had to a complete system install of ubunty 11.04 and win7. I installed unbutu first, then win7. Well when it was all said and done, I figured when I started, I would get the option to either boot in to ubuntu or win7,all I get is win7.

Now I downloaded and installed EasyBCD2.0 configured it, but when I boot again I get either win7 or ubuntu. But when I choose ubuntu it doesn't show nothing. So how to I find ubuntu and get it to boot.

I'd suggest that you try the Supergrub CD/DVD, When you installed Windows after installing Linux, it overwrote your master boot record. Ubuntu is still there, you just need to fix the boot loader and Supergrub will do that for you.
    Boot Problems Open Source Tools | Super Grub Disk, Super Grub2 Disk and Rescatux
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thank you that helped..

Quote Originally Posted by doubledragon5 View Post
    Thank you that helped..
    Awesome, can you tell us what you did? It might help others in need of a solution.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

How do you do this again?

Ok now I have the same problem here. First, I installed Ubuntu 10.10, then installed Windows XP. How do you do this same thing without burning a cd (I don't have a blank or live cd)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nonme View Post
    Ok now I have the same problem here. First, I installed Ubuntu 10.10, then installed Windows XP. How do you do this same thing without burning a cd (I don't have a blank or live cd)
    You may be able to use unetbootin to boot supergrub from a disk-on-key:

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Linux Newbie
    When creating a dual-boot system with windows, always install windows first, then the good stuff. Windows installs does some messing with the MBR and will overwrite the good stuff.

Just Joined!

There's an order to things.

Windows is greedy. It wants the whole disk to itself and it doesn't recognize Linux, in the first place. You should always install Windows first, then Linux.

Once Windows is installed, you can tweak it to your delight, then install Linux. Once Linux has installed, the Grub boot manager will find Windows, and any other OS's that you've installed, and make a list (menu) of them.

When you start up from a reboot, Grub will present you with a menu selection of all the OS's that it found. You can select which one you want to use, and have a good time!

I personally run Windows on it's own drive, and use a separate hard drive to run Linux. This way, if one of the hard drives should go to heaven, then I can possibly go to the other hard drive, and use that OS to perform the work I was doing.

If you have two different OS's on the same hard drive, and dual boot them, then, if the hard drive decides to die, you're out of luck! No Windows, and not Linux. It's your choice! But I highly recommend using two separate hard drives to protect your work.

Cheers!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledragon5 View Post
    Recently I had to a complete system install of ubunty 11.04 and win7. I installed unbutu first, then win7. Well when it was all said and done, I figured when I started, I would get the option to either boot in to ubuntu or win7,all I get is win7.

Now I downloaded and installed EasyBCD2.0 configured it, but when I boot again I get either win7 or ubuntu. But when I choose ubuntu it doesn't show nothing. So how to I find ubuntu and get it to boot.
    Cheack the GRUB Config file Neatly

[QUOTE=yoav_by;845045]You may be able to use unetbootin to boot supergrub from a disk-on-key:

Well, is there a way to restore the bootloader within windows?