Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Libre office documents shut down without warning

When I use libre office my documents will suddenly shut down and then I have to go into recovery to get then back. How can I stop this? Any ideas?

Which version of Ubuntu and Libre Office are you using? If you're not using the latest release, 3.3.2, upgrading may fix the problem.

im not a libre office user but i think upgrading is not the best way.
    i think the problem is in your file..

Try to use openoffice instead of libre office..

Im using openoffice and i dont have encountered problem like that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I've had similar problem after upgrading to libre office, namely my documents wouldn't even open! So I downgraded to open office and now I'm simply ignoring update messages

You should try an online document converter to convert that document, and then reconvert to odt.

Alternatively, do the same with things like koffice, abiword etc...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dianne16
    my documents will suddenly shut down
    It sounds like your dealing with either a corrupted document, it may have a malicious script embedded in it if you got it from another user, or a corrupted software (LibreOffice) install in which case I'd recommend reinstalling it.

I've had no problems with LibreOffice. I've even used it to open a document created with MS-Office 2008 (Mac) that MS-Office 2007 & 2010 would open properly. BTW, it had embedded PDFs.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ProfTheory View Post
    It sounds like your dealing with either a corrupted document, it may have a malicious script embedded in it if you got it from another user, or a corrupted software (LibreOffice) install in which case I'd recommend reinstalling it.

I've had no problems with LibreOffice. I've even used it to open a document created with MS-Office 2008 (Mac) that MS-Office 2007 & 2010 would open properly. BTW, it had embedded PDFs.
    Before reinstalling it try to open libre office and create for a new file and save, after that open that file again. if the problem come again thats the point you need to reinstall it. And if there is no problem in opening the new file i think you don't need to reinstall your libre office. Check your file instead ( The file that cannot be opened). (

Quote Originally Posted by ProfTheory View Post

My libreoffice works well most of the times but there had been the same problem
    If caused by a corrupted document, then at least see a warning/error message will be displayed, I think it might be a bug of libreoffice.

BTW: I'm using openSuSE 11.3 x86_64
    and LibreOffice 3.3 330m19(Build:202)