Find the answer to your Linux question:
For strange reasons I was stuck without an Internet connection for about 2 hours. I couldn't establish a connection, even local network only via DHCP. This was on Natty. After ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

weird networking error

For strange reasons I was stuck without an Internet connection for about 2 hours. I couldn't establish a connection, even local network only via DHCP. This was on Natty. After 30mins passed, I rebooted to Maverick only to get the same results.

With nothing else to do, one hour after, I booted into Windows XP to play Dragon Wars 2. Lo and behold! I had Internet connection. At first I thought it was a technical problem with my ISP. So I rebooted hurriedly to Natty and after several minutes of trying to coax Network Manager for a damn fre*kin* connection it still couldn't.

Back again to XP, I couldn't believe that I wasn't experiencing some kind of on/off signal from my ISP. It wasn't just a coincidence that I could connect on XP and not on Natty. The connection was fine! And I've reason to believe for the past 2 hours, my ISP wasn't the culprit. .. this time it was on my end.

Now - on Natty - I manually configured the connection (Instead of DHCP) to be greeted with the familiar Connection Established prompt from notify-OSD.

Anyone experienced a similar case? I am a bit stumped as to how this is possible.
    Registered User #345074

Linux Enthusiast
    Turning off a wireless card in Windows tends to leave it off when in Linux and since I so not run Windows (in any flavor) I have never had that problem; but I have heard about it being the case. (I to run X or X Window but nothing from Microsoft and my machine has never ever had a Microsoft product until they bought Skype. Will have to find a replacement before they release a new version.)

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by alf55
    Turning off a wireless card in Windows tends to leave it off when in Linux and since I so not run Windows (in any flavor) I have never had that problem; but I have heard about it being the case. (I to run X or X Window but nothing from Microsoft and my machine has never ever had a Microsoft product until they bought Skype. Will have to find a replacement before they release a new version.)
    But I wasn't on my laptop. It was my desktop and I am running it directly from cable from my ISPs modem. I know better to check my wireless if it is on or off.

Does Network Manager cache the old IP from the DHCP until its set expiry? Isn't the client supposed to know that? Because if the ISP has set the IP lease to 24 hours, and it was well within the 24 hours, the settings on Windows might have been saved so it didn't ask for a new one from the DHCP server which wasn't responding. It used the one from the previous connection (I booted to windows earlier that morning, I lost the connection in the afternoon).

Network manager on the other hand kept on "spinning", like it was waiting for the DHCP to answer but it wasn't getting any thus it was stuck there not being able to connect. When I manually configure it, I got connected.
    Registered User #345074